Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New find, WWII Japanese Sword and Flag

Article about: I was moving my grandmother out of her home a few years ago and found this in an old trunk with all my grandfathers war stuff. My grandmother said it has not seen the light of day in over 50

Matrix1
    ?

Default New find, WWII Japanese Sword and Flag

I was moving my grandmother out of her home a few years ago and found this in an old trunk with all my grandfathers war stuff. My grandmother said it has not seen the light of day in over 50 years. The blade is in perfect condition, no pits or rust. The latch is not broken, the paint on the scabbard is original and has only a few scrapes. There was a telescoping Japanese flag that was in the box as well (yes that is the original shipping box and still has the customs tag on it). Just thought I would put it out there to see what people thought or could give me insight about this
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New find, WWII Japanese Sword and Flag   New find, WWII Japanese Sword and Flag  

New find, WWII Japanese Sword and Flag   New find, WWII Japanese Sword and Flag  

Matrix1
    ?

Default Re: New find

Additional photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New find, WWII Japanese Sword and Flag   New find, WWII Japanese Sword and Flag  

New find, WWII Japanese Sword and Flag  

Default Re: New find

Very nice pieces. I am going to move this to the Axis section for you and leave a re-direct so it will appear in both places as you will probably get more replies in that section. I took the liberty of modifying your title to attract more attention as well...hope you don't mind.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Matrix1
    ?

Default Re: New find, WWII Japanese Sword and Flag

Thanks

?

Congrats, looks like a nice WWII Shin gunto (new army). Machine made blade, army (gunto) fittings. I'm no expert. I'm sure you'll get some good advice here...

I've been doing some poking around at these recently, and seems they have gone from low-brow commodity to somewhat collectible. In case you are wondering, it seems these can go for 600-2k, depending on nature of maker, quality of fittings, blade condition, etc. Your's does seem to have a very nice blade, and the matching scabbard helps much. I have seen retail examples as high as 4K, but not sure there selling many at that rate. On ebay I see similar go for 800-1,200, and once in a while as high as 1,600.

It would be good if you can (safely) remove the handle (tsuka). Usually held by a bamboo pin (mekugi), to take pics of the tang (Nakago), especially if any arsenal stamps or signature (mei). Take care not to reorder the various pieces (sepa/fuchi).

To those that know, I hope I did not abuse the terminology too much. I'm trying.

regards

?

Very nice NCO sword. aluminum grip looks to have all its paint left. there will be nothing on the tang on these. strictly machine made blades. this type has a bolt rather than a wood pin holding the blade in.
    a really nice example of a ww2 japanese NCO sword.
    thank you for sharing it with us. welcome to the forum.
    andrew

?

Hi Matrix , and welcome to the forum , that is fantastic to unearth these wonderful items after all this time , that is a dream , and even better with the original shipping packing . Congratulations on a great piece of family history
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Thumbs up Re: New find, WWII Japanese Sword and Flag

WOW
    I've have never seen an NCO sword with all the paint on the handle.
    That is SWEEEET
    Thanks for the pic's

Yeah, awesome! I found a really nice one once, the shop didn't even know it was a military piece... people can be so stupid, it was hanging up on the wall with some ridiculous fantasy knives... My lucky day I guess. Found out it was worth a whopping $325 (at the time), I don't collect Japanese so I quickly sold it. Still regret it... That was me being stupid.

It was, as mentioned, "lowbrow" at the time, but it had some battle wear on it, that thing had some vibe... the first time I drew it from its scabbard and grasped it in fighting position, it gave me goose bumps and made the hair on the back of my neck stand up...

I love it in that box, man what a looker!!!

?

Yes a magnificent find, made even more special by having those family links.
    There is no point takimg the handle off as has been mentioned, if you're unfamiliar with the type of sword, there is a good pinned link at the top of the forum to read and explore.
    I believe your Grandmother was right in it not having seen the light of day for some 50 odd years, the original paint is fantastic. The flag is also neat!
    I'm sure that one of the 'guy's here would be able to translate the writing on the packing case.cjust for curiosity. I guess it was probably shipped from occupied Japan... postal / address markings??
    It would be really cool if it was the original packing case of the sword as delivered by the IJA to the issued NCO!
    My only request is that when you have some time and a nice day, to take some more clearer photos of it to share with us. Close ups, etc, of the markings on the sword..... Iijima was the contractor by the way.
    Cheers
    Ern

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast