Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Our display today

Article about: Great one Ade! Nice of you to service a worthwhile community event.

Default Our display today

Hi Guys, just spent a very enjoyable day doing a small display for the over 65's in our area.

The event was organised by our local Police and as our local "Bobby" is a fellow re-enactor who does US Army, they asked Lez and I to attend. We put on a small British themed display, with RAF, Army & ATS items on show. The cap badges were a big hit: Vets looking to see if we had "their" Regt's badge.

We met a lot of Vets and older folk who grew up during the war. Heard a lot of stories, some happy, some sad. Made some good contacts too.

Local teenage school kids served drinks and food all day and they got to vote for the best display. We won Big box of chocs was the prize.

There was live 1940's music all day too. A great day out.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Our display today   Our display today  

Our display today   Our display today  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Our display today
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Our display today

Cracking display Adrian.

Regards etc
    Ian D

?

put on a small British themed display ?!?!?!?
    that is huge. i can understand modesty but ... very nice display and it looks like you had some fun

?

Ade great stuff I wish I could use some of it this weekend for my display. Your grandkids must love going to your house. Gary

Nice comprehensive display
    Regards, Simon.

?

Ade what a great idea and display this should happen all over the country
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

First class display Ade

I wish I had been there myself! Cant see my old Regimental badge there though

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Awesome display all very well set up and superbly presented

Thanks

Danny

Thanks Guys Lez and I will be doing some displays in the future. We have done them in the past, but not for a few years now. We are lucky enough to have a lot of kit to choose from to show. But we have collected a long time.

It has been a really rewarding day. But our collections rooms are now a mess! We spent all of last night deciding what to take to display. Then we had to clean & polish all the brass buttons on the display tunics and also my belt, gaiters, etc. The Vets always check if they are clean!

One of the highlights was meeting a Vet form 8th Battl Sherwood Forresters who was taken prisoner in Norway in 1940. Spent 5 years as a POW in Danzig. He still had his cap badge in his pocket to show me. A sad story was from one lady: her brother was KIA aged only 22 on his 29th OP with Bomber Command. She was very moved to see an Air Gunners uniform like he wore. She said he knew he was not going to make the 30 OP limit. He volunteered for the extra ops too....

Met one Gent who collected German daggers back in the 1960's. He went away VERY happy to now know what they are worth today. £12 for an 33 pattern SS dagger.....So now with my help he is going to sell. His wife will be looking at holiday brochures tonight

?

Ade that will be very nice of you to send that gent and his wife on holiday.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast