Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Police lid and Gorget display

Article about: Museum quality display. I'm floored.

Default Police lid and Gorget display

Since getting my Feldgendarmerie Gorget recently I've been thinking about how to display it and the tried and true 'mounting in a frame' idea wasn't really turning me on so I put the old thinking cap on and came up with what I hope is an interesting and effective display using some regular household materials.

I'd like to hear some opinions on my creation and if there's any ideas on how to improve then i'd like to hear them

Materials:
    1 x coat hanger (white)
    1 x kitchen paper towel holder
    1 x spool fishing line
    1 x table lamp
    2 x hose clamps.

Step 1

Bend the coat hanger into a shape that mimics the way a neck chain falls over the shoulders and down to the back. (This took several attempts to get the bend right)

Police lid and Gorget displayPolice lid and Gorget display

The bend of the wire fits neatly into the catch for the chain...

Step 2

The chain must be tightly strung on the wire with fishing line which was a very time consuming process after two attempts using cotton failed and the fishing line idea meant the line is both strong and invisible.

Step 3

My desk lamp had to be sacrificed as the flexible neck was ideal for positioning the Gorget in relation to the helmet. The lamp's head was cut off, the base opened up and the wiring removed and voila! One flexible neck!

Unfortunately the only way I could think of to fix the neck to the towel holder was to use a hose clamp. It looks a little rough so if anyone has any ideas on tidying that aspect up i'd be happy to hear them.

Result

Police lid and Gorget displayPolice lid and Gorget displayPolice lid and Gorget display

So i'm reasonably happy that the display is perhaps a little different from the ordinary as the intention was to imitate the Gorget hanging from invisible shoulders. If only I could get rid of that ugly hose clamp i'd be even happier.

Did I do good?

Cheers
    Glenn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Police lid and Gorget display
    P
    Many

Default Re: Police lid and Gorget display

I think that is original and impressive. I think that is an excellent way to display the items together. It beats putting it on the base!
    I like it a lot

That's really clever! You can see a lot of thought has gone into this and it shows, well done!!

Impressed, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

From the several attempts at coathanger fashioning to the multiple (and failed) attempts at stringing with cotton before using the nylon and then the final coming together I'd say maybe 8-9 hours went into this project. At one point I really thought I couldn't do it as every time I threaded the next chainlink the nylon line would lose tension and the chain would droop down on the wire, the trick was to maintain tension the whole way around whilst balancing the whole contraption and continuing to thread. A third arm would have come in handy!

?

Thats really original Glenn, but there is a better way, gift it to me and i will wear it, it will hang right i can assure you, lol

?

That's a spectacular display. the Gorget looks like it has a natural drape as if worn around the neck. I don't think the clamp looks bad but if it bothers you, can the hose be soldered to the base ? If you don't know how (I sure don't) you can use that liquid solder / metal bonding adhesive that comes in a tube. When you mix the two chemicals together it forms a pretty strong bond on metal. Just use the clamp after to hold in place until it hardens properly. It can be messy but just try a little. I don't know if it will work, just an idea. Good luck, Al.

Very well done! I am also impressed.
    cheers
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

super display,great idea.

Chris

Dave, I will gift it to you no problem...in my will. Can you wait (hopefully) 30+ years?

Al, I thought about the 'liquid steel' solution but like you I have no idea as to its adhesion properties as regards plated steel v plated steel.

Glenn, a great idea. It displays beautifully!
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast