Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Portuguese Special Commissions Service Medal Collection.

Article about: I'm going to share some Portuguese Army Commissions Medals of my collection with you, hoping you'll enjoy it.

Default Portuguese Special Commissions Service Medal Collection.

Hi to all.,

I'm going to share some Portuguese Army Commissions Medals of my collection with you, hoping you'll enjoy it.

Best Regards.,

Von River

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Portuguese Special Commissions Service Medal Collection.
    P
    Many

The Commemorative medal of Special Service Commissions of The Portuguese Armed Forces, was created on 28/05/1946.

Differing in ribbon from the Commemorative Campaign Medal, in white with red borders, and attributed "in cases In the case of simple expeditions or actions of any nature where circumstances did not require the carrying out of war operations "(Art. 43 of the 1946 Regulations).

The design of the Campaign and the Commissions medals is the same, changing only the colors on the ribbon. The colors of the Campaign medals are the red and green, and the colors of the Commissions medal are the white and the red.

Actually the Commemorative medal of Special Service Commissions is intended "for military personnel who, whether or not they are national or multinational constituted forces, have performed foreign service missions" (Article 47 of the 2002 Regulation).

Several Portuguese Army Commissions Service Medals were minted over time. There are several models:

- 1946 Model (until 1949)
    - 1949 Model (until 1971)
    - 1971 Model (until 2002)
    - 2002 Model (until today)

I do not know the existence of the 1946 model.

Current Order of Precedence (Established by Decree-Law No 316/2002 of 27 December 2002):

1. Order of the Tower and Sword
    2. Military Valor Medal
    3. War Cross
    4. Military Order of Christ
    5. Military Order of Aviz
    6. Distinguished Service Medal
    7. Military Merit Medal
    8. Military Order of St James of the Sword
    9. Order of Infante D. Henrique
    10. Order of Liberty
    11. Distinguished services or relevant overseas services
    12. Exemplary Behaviour Medal
    13. Distinguished Achievement on Operations Medal
    14. Wounded in Battle Medal
    15. Recognition Medal
    16. Campaign Service Medal
    17. Special Service Commissions Commemorative Medal
    18. Other National Orders
    19. Other National Medals
    20. Foreign Orders, Decorations and Medals

About the drawing of Portuguese Army Commission Service Medal - 1949 Model:

With respect to the obverse:

We have the National Coat of Arms (National emblem) surrounded by a circular listel with the inscription “EXPEDIÇÕES E CAMPANHAS DAS TROPAS PORTUGUESAS” (Expeditions and campaigns of the Portuguese troops) the legend surrounded by two laurel verges, fruity and tied together. Atop this we have a mural crown of five towers Interleaved by four shield with the five small shields.

With respect to the reverse:

We have atop a wall crown identical to the one on the obverse. On top a National Flag, and the figures of an Army soldier on the left, an African/Colonial soldier in the center, and a Navy sailor to the right, all standing on a pedestal. Surrounding the figures we have the legend “ESTE REINO É OBRA DE SOLDADOS” (This Kingdom is work of soldiers) in a circular listel.

At left of the figures we have the Portuguese overseas territories names of: GUINÉ, CABO VERDE, S. TOME E PRINCIPE and ANGOLA, and at the right of: MOÇAMBIQUE, INDIA, MACAU and TIMOR.

About the drawing of Portuguese Army Commisssion Service Medal - 1971 Model:

We have the National Coat of Arms (National emblem) surrounded by a circular listel with the inscription “CAMPANHAS E COMISSÕES ESPECIAIS DAS FORÇAS ARMADAS PORTUGUESAS” (Campaigns and Special Commissions of the Portuguese troops) the legend surrounded by two laurel verges, fruity and tied together. Atop this we have a mural crown of five towers Interleaved by four shield with the five small shields.

We have atop a wall crown identical to the one on the obverse. On top a National Flag, and the figures of an Army soldier on the left, an Air Force soldier in the center, and a Navy sailor to the right, all standing on a pedestal. Surrounding the figures we have the legend “ESTE REINO É OBRA DE SOLDADOS” (This Kingdom is work of soldiers) in a circular listel.

At left of the figures we have the Portuguese overseas territories names of: GUINÉ, CABO VERDE, S. TOME E PRINCIPE and ANGOLA, and at the right of: MOÇAMBIQUE, INDIA, MACAU and TIMOR.

About the drawing of Portuguese Army Commission Service Medal - 2002 Model:

The 2002 Model it’s like the 1971 model but without the Portuguese Overseas Territories names (GUINÉ, CABO VERDE, S. TOME E PRINCIPE, ANGOLA, MOÇAMBIQUE, INDIA, MACAU and TIMOR).

We have the National Coat of Arms (National emblem) surrounded by a circular listel with the inscription “CAMPANHAS E COMISSÕES ESPECIAIS DAS FORÇAS ARMADAS PORTUGUESAS” (Campaigns and Special Commissions of the Portuguese troops) the legend surrounded by two laurel verges, fruity and tied together. Atop this we have a mural crown of five towers Interleaved by four shield with the five small shields.

We have atop a wall crown identical to the one on the obverse. On top a National Flag, and the figures of an Army soldier on the left, an Air Force soldier in the center, and a Navy sailor to the right, all standing on a pedestal. Surrounding the figures we have the legend “ESTE REINO É OBRA DE SOLDADOS” (This Kingdom is work of soldiers) in a circular listel.

Portuguese Army Commission Service Medal - 1949 Model (until 1971):

With clasp on the ribbon – “MOÇAMBIQUE”
    Clasp translated – “MOZAMBIQUE”

Medal in silver. Exists only silver for all ranks.

Portuguese Special Commissions Service Medal Collection. Portuguese Special Commissions Service Medal Collection.

Portuguese Army Commission Service Medal - 1949 Model (until 1971):

With clasp on the ribbon – “Moçambique 1961-63”
    Clasp translated – “Mozambique 1961-63”

Medal in silver. Exists only silver for all ranks.

Portuguese Special Commissions Service Medal Collection. Portuguese Special Commissions Service Medal Collection.

MAP
    ?

Very nice.

It is always neat to see something a bit different. We don't often get to see awards for countries other than the major Allied or Axis powers.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)