Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Portuguese War Cross Collection

Article about: Hello everyone, I’m a Portuguese War Cross Medal collector and enthusiast, from the First World War medals to modern medals, that some war veterans receive for gallantry "in the face of

Portuguese War Cross Medal upon a camouflaged beret (quico), a camouflaged second corporal shoulder boards, and a bush knife, all used in the Portuguese Overseas War (Guerra do Ultramar).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Portuguese War Cross Collection
    P
    Many

Hi to all.,

I share with you all other military medal group mounted on a frame from an WW1 combatant from Portuguese War Navy (Marinha de Guerra Portuguesa), that fought at the sea during the World War I.

Can be seen the following, from left to right:

First row:

- Portuguese Army Campaign Service Medal 1921 Model in the Copper degree. With clasps on the ribbon: "NO MAR 1916-1917-1918" (At The Sea 1916-1917-1918) and "DEFEZA MARITIMA 1914-1918" (Maritime Defense 1914-1918);
    - Portuguese War Cross Medal with three templar crosses on the ribbon (1st class, 2nd class and 4th Class) 1917 Model;
    - Portuguese World War I Victory Medal.

Second row:

- Ribbon of the ISN (Instituto de Socorros a Naufragos) (Castaway Help Institute) Medal, for acts of help and rescue at the sea.
    - Exemplary Behavior Medal in silver (15 years exemplary service) 1863 Model (from 1863 until 1911).

General view of the medals on the frame:

Close-up view of the first row of medals:

Close-up view of the second row of medals:

Close-up view of the Portuguese War Cross:

A Remark:

During and after the Great War 1914-1918 (WWI), the military, combatants or war veterans, who were awarded more than one Portuguese War Cross Medal, almost always wore only a War Cross, and on the ribbon of that War Cross they put two or three cross miniatures of the class of the War Crosses they won in Combat.

Best Regards.,

Von River

I share with you all a Portuguese War Cross Medal displayed at the Museum of the GNR (Republican National Guard) in Lisbon.

I share with you all a Portuguese War Cross Medal displayed at the "Combatant Museum" (Museu do Combatente em Belém Lisboa) in Belém Lisbon.

I share with you all the Portuguese War Crosses displayed at the "Navy Museum" (Museu da Marinha em Lisboa) in Lisbon.
    In two extraordinary exhibitions:

First Exhibition - Theme "The Navy in the Great War 1914-1918":

The First Window:

The Second Window:

Second Exhibition - Theme "Carvalho Araújo - Life for the Homeland - Great War 1914-1918":

The Main Window:

TCOR "CMD" MARCELINO DA MATA:

I share with you all this excellent photo of Mr. Marcelino da Mata with his Portuguese War Crosses. Photo taken by photographer Mr. Alfredo Cunha (I advise you all to see the excellent work of Mr. Alfredo Cunha in the Facebook link that I leave in the source).

Source:
    Mr. Alfredo Cunha Official Fujifilm X-Photographer Work in Facebook (All rights reserved).
    Facebook link: Page Not Found | Facebook

The Portuguese military most decorated in the History of the Portuguese Army. Including the Portuguese who has the record of having received more Portuguese War crosses to this day.

Marcelino da Mata (Ponte Nova, Guiné, May 7, 1940) is a Lieutenant-Colonel in the reserve of the Portuguese Army, born in Portuguese Guinea, known for his acts of bravery and heroism practiced during the Colonial War in 2.412 Commandos operations , and which give him the title of Portuguese military most decorated in the History of the Portuguese Army.

Five Portuguese War Cross Medals can be seen on the left side of Mr. Marcelino da Mata chest. All won in Close Combat in the theater of operations in Portuguese Guinea during 1966 to 1973. Three of the War Crosses Medals are in the first class, which is an unattainable feat during the Portuguese War Military History. (By: Von River).

Mr Marcelino da Mata Military Decorations:

- Portuguese War Cross Medal in the 2nd Class (July 26, 1966);
    - Portuguese War Cross Medal in the 1st Class (May 9, 1967);
    - Military Order of the Tower and Sword, of Valor, Loyalty and Merit - Knight degree (July 2, 1969);
    - Portuguese War Cross Medal in the 1st Class (April 21, 1971);
    - Portuguese War Cross Medal in the 3rd Class (June 9, 1973);
    - Portuguese War Cross Medal in the 1st Class (August 22, 1973).

Source: Marcelino da Mata – Wikipedia, a enciclopedia livre
    Source: Guiné - Tenente Coronel Marcelino da Mata - O militar mais condecorado de toda a história das Forças Armadas Portuguesas
    Source: RANGERS & COISASDOMR: M358 – Homenagem ao TCOR Marcelino da Mata – UM HER

Best Regards.,

Von River

Hi to all.,

I share with you, this photos of a very very rare Portuguese War Cross Medal, from 1917 model, so far the only one I have seen of this type. This war cross is not part of my collection, it belongs to a friend also collector.

It would be a war cross that could be bought in one of the houses of Lisbon, destined to combatants without possibility of buying the original much more expensive that was attributed by the Portuguese government. Maybe a replacement medal.

Front view:

Back view:

From Mr. Carlos Firmino Collection, about the photos, all Rights Reserved.

Best Regards.,

Von River

Portuguese War Cross Medal - 1917 Model:

MAP
    ?

Great thread!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Portuguese War Cross Medal - 1917 Model - Revision 01

Portuguese War Cross Collection:

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819