Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Portuguese War Cross Collection

Article about: Hello everyone, I’m a Portuguese War Cross Medal collector and enthusiast, from the First World War medals to modern medals, that some war veterans receive for gallantry "in the face of

Default Portuguese War Cross Collection

Hello everyone,

I’m a Portuguese War Cross Medal collector and enthusiast, from the First World War medals to modern medals, that some war veterans receive for gallantry "in the face of the enemy" in acts committed in the overseas (colonial) war. So I'm going to share some pieces of my collection with you, hoping you'll enjoy it.

The Portuguese War Cross was established by Decree 2870 of November 30, 1916, to reward bravery and acts committed in the campaign during war time. It could be awarded to military personnel, civilians, foreign military personnel and civilians and it may be awarded posthumously.

The War Cross received notoriety during World War I in Africa and France war theaters, and during the Portuguese Overseas (colonial) War. It is divided into 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th grade, in descending order of importance.

The Portuguese War Cross was inspired by the French Croix de Guerre that was created in 1915, and had three different models, respectively legislated in 1916, 1946 and 1971.

The War Cross It is awarded in four classes. Award in Gold with two laurel verges, fruity and tied with a bow (1st Class), only Gold (2nd Class), Silver (3rd Class) and Bronze (4th Class). The classes are represented by a small templar cross on the ribbon.

The 1st Class from 1971 model can be used officially by necklace. The 1st Class from 1946 model can be used by necklace by the recipients but not officially.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Portuguese War Cross Collection
    P
    Many

The first medals that I will present are from the 1971 model. This model are the classic type graced to the recipients in the final years of the Portuguese overseas (colonial) war.

For those who do not know, the overseas (colonial) war consisted of a confrontation between the Portuguese Armed Forces and the forces organized by the liberation movements of the former overseas provinces of Angola, Guinea and Mozambique, between 1961 and 1974.

The Portuguese War Cross medal 1971 model it is awarded in four classes. Award in 1st Class represented with a Gold Templar cross with two laurel verges, fruity and tied with a bow, 2nd Class represented with a Templar cross in Gold, 3rd Class represented with a Templar cross in Silver and 4th Class represented by a Templar cross in Bronze.

The class are represented by the small Templar crosses on the ribbons of the medals. The class degree depended from the acts of bravery performed during combat. The 1st Class from 1971 model can be used by necklace as shown below.

Last edited by VonRiver; 02-15-2017 at 02:41 PM.

The class are represented by the small Templar crosses on the ribbons of the medals:

Last edited by VonRiver; 02-15-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Share with you all my Portuguese War Cross 1st class 1971 model:

The drawing of the medal (since 1971) as follows:

With respect to the obverse is a Templar cross, in gold, having superimposed, in the center, a National Emblem. The reverse has, in the center, a circle laden with two old swords passed by a blade, surrounded by two laurel beads, fruity and tied with a bow.

About the suspension ribbon, is red cut longitudinally by five green fillets. At the center of the ribbon, a miniature of the war cross representing the class or degree.

Share with you all my Portuguese War Cross 3rd class 1971 model:

As can be seen in the photos presented on this war cross model, the surface patina or some corrosion of the material is completely irregular, which is one of the characteristics of the 1971 model, in the firsts medals assigned to the recipients after some years.

Share with you all my Portuguese War Cross 2nd class 1971 model. Not the official type, as you can see it have a ring in the suspension, completely different from the suspension of the official medal, you can compare with the previous pictures:

In this presented medal you can see the brightness and original color of the 1971 model. We can imagine what they looked like when they were being assigned or when they were cleaned by their recipients to use on uniform.

The 1st Class from 1971 model can be used by necklace as shown.

In this presented medal you can see the brightness and original color of the 1971 model. This brightness it is given by surface treatment.

JMM
    ?

Very nice collection you got there, VonRiver.
    Thanks for the information and for sharing these at the forum

Thank you very much JMM.

Now I will show the Portuguese War Cross modern type medals. The model it’s the same 1971, but the medal color is given by surface treatment to look like the original patina of 1917 war cross medals.

Share with you all my moderns Portuguese War cross medals, 1971 model all grades:

The 1st Class from 1971 modern model can be used by necklace.
    The color is given by surface treatment like the other grades shown above.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast