Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Possible German overcoat/great coat

Article about: Hi, firstly I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area. I'm very new to this and I am trying to identify this coat. I was going through some old trunks of my grandfathers and I came acr

gothicrhapsody
    ?

Default Possible German overcoat/great coat

Hi, firstly I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area. I'm very new to this and I am trying to identify this coat. I was going through some old trunks of my grandfathers and I came across a huge wool jacket. It's double breasted with six buttons unless you claspe together the part that would have covered the mouth then it has eight. The buttons are a gold color with what appears to be a Lion crest and on the back it has two six pointed stars and says J. Fonson Brux. In the back of it there is a belt with three of the buttons and
    there are three more buttons down the center of the back of it that open up like a duster. It has a clothe lining that has been stamped 4 G and there is a tag.

The tag says Kusseneers C. Wavurse Steenweg, 61 or (or 6L it's fading) Lier. Totale hoogte: 132 Sorstomvang or Sorstornvang 52 + 2 Muat: 4 G

This is a link to my photobucket account Pictures by gothicrhapsody - Photobucket

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS

Default Re: Possible German overcoat/great coat

hi there i think this great coat is belgium from the 50s if i remember correctly i had one a few years back with the same buttons

Correct, it is a Belgian coat.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

gothicrhapsody
    ?

Quote by stuka f View Post
    Correct, it is a Belgian coat.
    Thank you both. On the tag it has the year 1937 stamped into it.

What does the reverse of the buttons say. I tought they were later patern, 1950 like mentioned before.
    You are showing one, but the pic is not that clear.
    Could you provide beter pictures of the buttons and the tag?

cheers
    |<ris

gothicrhapsody
    ?

Quote by stuka f View Post
    What does the reverse of the buttons say. I tought they were later patern, 1950 like mentioned before.
    You are showing one, but the pic is not that clear.
    Could you provide beter pictures of the buttons and the tag?
    I do apologize for the quality of the photo. I don't have a digital camera so I used my phone.

The button says J. Fonson then it has two six pointed stars and the BRUX. The tag says 1937.

The buttons are a gold color with what appears to be a Lion crest and on the back it has two six pointed stars and says J. Fonson Brux. In the back of it there is a belt with three of the buttons and
    there are three more buttons down the center of the back of it that open up like a duster. It has a clothe lining that has been stamped 4 G and there is a tag.

The tag says Kusseneers C. Wavurse Steenweg, 61 or (or 6L it's fading) Lier. Totale hoogte: 132 Sorstomvang or Sorstornvang 52 + 2 Muat: 4 G
    Jules Fonson closed down in the late 1950' ties and was taken over by Indian Caps Antwerp who kept making buttons with Fonson's die's.
    I don't know anything about Kusseneers, yet; I could informe with my wife's parents.
    What the tag exactly says would be:
    Kusseneers C. WavErse Steenweg, 61 Lier(that is a town east from Antwerp (where my wife is from!!)). Totale hoogtetotal heigt: 132 Borstomvang (chest mesurement) 52 + 2 MAat(size): 4 G
    What is the story of your grandfather?Is he Belgian or was he in Belgium?

cheers
    |<ris