Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Possible merc flash and beret from Mad Mike Hoare's unit 5 commando

Article about: I had this in my section of items I bought while stationed in the H.O.A. with the US Navy CB's. I was not sure when I bought it back in 2010 but thought it was French, since they are so many

?

Default Possible merc flash and beret from Mad Mike Hoare's unit 5 commando

I had this in my section of items I bought while stationed in the H.O.A. with the US Navy CB's. I was not sure when I bought it back in 2010 but thought it was French, since they are so many of them in that area.
    But recently someone informed me that this was from Mad Mike Hoare's 5 Commando that operated in the Congo in the 1960's. I was hoping some of many British or South African collectors might have some thoughts on it?
    The black one is the Djiboutian national police force. I got it from my translators father who retired in 2009.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10004.jpg 
Views:	853 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	631556Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10002.jpg 
Views:	896 
Size:	296.4 KB 
ID:	631555

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Hi Popeye, the Red beret is a genuine French Beret and normally are dated on the label, and the cap badge appears to be based on the TAP beret cap badge with the addition of the 5 Commando,here is a picture of one of my TAP cap badge's for comparison, I am unable to confirm the beret's Mad Mike provenance I am afraid but very nice examples all the same.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tap cap badge 2014.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	631829