Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Question. New original ribbon, to hang or not to hang?

Article about: As the title suggests, I have a couple of Eisernes Kreuz along with a couple of other medals with original unused ribbons. What are everyone's thoughts on using in the ribbon to hang the med

Default Question. New original ribbon, to hang or not to hang?

As the title suggests, I have a couple of Eisernes Kreuz along with a couple of other medals with original unused ribbons.

What are everyone's thoughts on using in the ribbon to hang the medal for display purposes or would that be a no no and I should leave the original ribbon as supplied.

I really want to hang one of my EK plus a Sudetenland next to each other for framing but not if it's going to be detrimental.

Question. New original ribbon, to hang or not to hang?
    Rise & ReverberateGib mir wieder etwas Schönes

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question. New original ribbon, to hang or not to hang?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Question. New original ribbon, to hang or not to hang?

Do what I am about to do, and own several. You can display
    the unused ribbon with an envelope and Cross, then get
    one or two more Crosses with attached ribbons.

I like the idea of having a 'new' and unused ribbon
    straight from the package.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Would it be a consideration to use replica ribbon for hanging...that way you can display it as you like with no fear of damage to original items?

That would work.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Gotta love you guys.

Would love to own "more, more, more, but with a rebel yell....." alas i digress, the repro ribbon seems to be the best option, but getting a good quality one can prove a little tricky as there are some shockers out there.

Brought a repro west wall ribbon and it was the worst i have seen, all stiff, shiny with moire (made my eyes go funny) and terrible colour. Succumbed and used the original in that case and got shot of the repro.

Any good quality ribbon suppliers out there? i.e. close to feel and look of original.

?

I bought quite a few brand new EK2 ribbons of the full length a few years ago. When I bought an EK I wanted, if the ribbon was missing or too short I would cut one of my 'stock' ribbons in half with pinking shears and use it for my new cross. The full length ribbons were supplied long for such a reason so I have no issues cutting one in half and using it to replace old or short lengths. I still have several full length ribbons for the future if needed and all my EK2s have ribbons of equal length.

I obviously now have a several pieces of original ribbon of varying length which might suffice for your needs so if you let me know how long a piece you want I'll see if I have one that will suit.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Every now and then original ribbons come up for sale on various militaria sites and most times for EK ribbons they seem to be about $10-$20ea from memory. I wouldn't go repro unless you really have to.

Thank you for the offer Adrian, anything around the 10cm length would be ideal, if you have l'll pm my details.

Regards
    Stefan