Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Rare collection of early 19th century periodical magazines.

Article about: This is one of my most treasured possessions and I hope it is of some interest to some of you. It is a collection of 'magazines' that begin in Feb 1st 1817. It is filled with new patents, sc

Default Rare collection of early 19th century periodical magazines.

This is one of my most treasured possessions and I hope it is of some interest to some of you. It is a collection of 'magazines' that begin in Feb 1st 1817. It is filled with new patents, scientific discovery and theory, politics, art, travel, poetry, everything you could imagine might be of interest to a gentleman of the day. I have taken some pictures of some articles (badly). The one about the new Republican Presidential candidate, James Monroe, might be of interest to some American readers

The reason I am so attached to this is that it has stayed in my family since the days they were printed. I have recently found a note in one of the pages marked with the name of my Great Great Grandfather, and his age at the time of 40 years. I can only assume that it was already a significant family item to him at the time, already of some age, and the note was intended for somebody in the future to find.

When I was about 18 I took the (now) terrifying decision to give it a hard cover for protection

I originally received it with just the brown paper cover you see on one of the pictures. It turned out OK though I think luckily.

647 pages, + index and glossary. I love this thing.

Rare collection of early 19th century periodical magazines.Rare collection of early 19th century periodical magazines.Rare collection of early 19th century periodical magazines.Rare collection of early 19th century periodical magazines.Rare collection of early 19th century periodical magazines.Rare collection of early 19th century periodical magazines.Rare collection of early 19th century periodical magazines.Rare collection of early 19th century periodical magazines.Rare collection of early 19th century periodical magazines..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rare collection of early 19th century periodical magazines.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Rare collection of early 19th century periodical magazines.

A fascinating collection of early periodicals in an era that is much over-looked and often forgotten today. For example, in Feb 1817, the White House was still not rebuilt from being burnt to the ground and destroyed by the British in the War of 1812 and the Capitol Building was many years down the road as well. Much of Washington DC never did recover and rebuild. In 1817, America was pretty much on it's own for the 1st real time since the Revolution and it was a bewildering time for all, building a new nation from chaos and ruins. A nice book, for sure!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."