Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rifles, swords, and bayonets

Article about: Hello sirs, First off, I apologize if these items are not in the correct category as I'm not sure exactly what they are. I know the rifles could go elsewhere but thought I would show the gro

Default Rifles, swords, and bayonets

Hello sirs,

First off, I apologize if these items are not in the correct category as I'm not sure exactly what they are. (And, mod, please fix my misspelled "sword" in title if you would please) I know the rifles could go elsewhere but thought I would show the group of items together.

Let me take you back 35 years, early 1980's. I was a young teenager and I did yard work and various non skilled labor jobs around the home of a gentleman who served in WW2. Mr. M. was with the Signal Corp and told me stories of setting up communications behind advancing troops. As forces fought and moved forward, the communication guys would follow behind them and set up communication. Mr. M. described to me what the scenes looked like in many cases and he said that "stuff" was everywhere. I'm going to paraphrase a bit because these conversations took place 35 years ago but basically he said that the fighting guys were on foot and didn't want to carry any more than they had to, additionally they didn't always have time to stop and pick items up, "but we had trucks and time so we could pick up and carry anything we wanted"

I remember that he had a number of German rifles and bayonets hanging on a wall in his basement and he told me stories of boxes full of German flags, officers hats, and medals, that we were supposed to dig out of his attic one day but sadly that attic hunt never transpired.

Mr. M. passed away in the 90's and his wife bestowed upon me several pictures of Mr. M., as well as several patches and German medals. I was happy to have them and they are sentimental to me.

Now fast forward to yesterday, I received the below items from the son of Mr. M. Pretty nice for me to have the same items that I admired on the wall so many years ago.

I hope that there is something of interest here for you sirs and I don't know anything about the bayonets yet so any info would be most appreciated.

Sorry that the pictures are not spectacular but if a picture of something not shown would be helpful in anyway please let me know.

Best,
    Rob

G33/40 and .22 cal training rifle

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rifles, swords, and bayonets
    P
    Many

Very nice items Rob..

Nice to know that the Veterans son wanted you to have the items..

Smitty

Well he did.. Actually my awesome father purchased the rifles from him and just gave them to me for Christmas. I purchased the bayonets some time ago.

Thank you.
    Best,
    Rob

?

Excellent Rob
    I did the same thing but My experience was in the early 70's. I mowed lawns and did clean up for a vet who was in the Pacific theater . He told me his stories as I sat in amazement with wide eye's as I looked at the type 38 Arisaka and his M1 helmet that sat in the corner of his garage. He gave me those items with the permission of my Dad first. I still have them and they will forever be in my collection as they have more of an emotional connection to my younger days and thoughts of my neighbor. They are treasures to me. They started me on my collecting theme. Helmets,Rifles and Bayonets of the Major players of WW2 and now I'm working on WW1

The pictures and personal items are a perfect touch with your items past.
    Good Deal!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Great story Phil..Thanks for sharing.

Ironically, I have two Arisaka rifles that were brought back by the brother of Mr. M. who served in the Pacific.

Sadly, I think most of us missed too many opportunities to seek out these vets when they were still around. Too many hero meetings missed and too many stories lost.

Anyway..thank you.

Best,
    Rob
    Last edited by JoeFriday; 12-22-2017 at 09:10 PM.

CBH
    ?

I'd suggest posting the bayonets separately to avoid confusion.
    The .22 look like a pre-war training rifle, these are highly collectable. I know I want one.
    Great group and a nice story to boot. Merry Christmas.

Thank you for the comments Chris and I apologize for the delay. I thought that I replied to you but just realized that I had not.

Best,
    Rob

Very interesting collection Joe. You probably know all about your bayonets, but for the benefit of readers who don't: The two longer bayonets are both German parade or "walking out" versions. The M1898 quillback, and with the brass plated grip; the M1871. The shorter bayonet is the Dutch M1895, "T back" combat bayonet that has some similarities to the British Pattern 1888. Nice to find one with a frog as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast