Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Signed Books: Show 'Em If You Got 'Em!

Article about: Paul, Are those book plates, or personally signed books? If book plates are allowed, here is one of mine

few days ago i send the book Jungmann to Karl Ludwig Barths and asked him if he could sign it for me and today i get it back.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Signed Books: Show 'Em If You Got 'Em!
    P
    Many

Han
    ?

I send it to Mr. Rudolf von Ribbentrop to asked his autograph on his book, "Mein Vater Joachim von Ribbentrop" in March. and it arrived in yestday.

Mr. von Ribbentrop also attaced an signed photo too.

Nice to see Herr Ribbentrop still has some copies left. I received a book from him last year, it is a very good read. However it took my about 5 times longer to read due to my poor German.

?

My copy of Headgear of Hitler's Germany Vol.5 Signed by Wilhelm P.B.R. Saris...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Signed Books: Show 'Em If You Got 'Em!   Signed Books: Show 'Em If You Got 'Em!  

I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Luke,
    I didn't read the text, but my mom (hi mom!), actually did the research on the signatures, and found that they were much more illustrious than I could have imagined. I do wonder what such a set should be insured for or could be appraised for, as I was planning on donating the book to the National Museum of the Marine Corps, and a tax write-off is desired. I'll post her write-up:

"1st Edition PELELIU 1944 by Harry A. Gailey, 1983, hardcover with dust jacket, 212 pages, illustrated, published by Nautical & Aviation Publishers, Annapolis, in fine condition inscribed by the author on a separate page and additionally signed by the following seven key military officials at a reunion for the signing of the book:
    1) Hal Buell
    2) Robert E. Galer
    3) Col. Roy S. Geiger Jr.
    4) Saburo Sakai (signatures in English and Japanese)
    5) Joe Foss
    6) John Thompson
    7) Hank Bowers
    1) Hal Buell was the former head of the Photography Service at the Associated Press for twenty-five years where he supervised an international staff of 300 photographers. He is also the author of the two 2006 books "Moments: The Pulitzer Prize-Winning Photographs" and "Uncommon Valor, Common Virtue", a book about AP war photographer Joe Rosenthal, who was at Peleliu and took the famous "flag-raising picture at Iwo Jima".
    2) Brigadier General Robert E. Galer, (1913--2005) USMC, fighter ace and Medal of Honor recipient for conspicuous heroism and courage above and beyond the call of duty as Leader of Marine Fighting Squadron TWO TWENTY-FOUR in aerial combat with enemy Japanese forces in the Solomon Islands Area, August-September 1942. Leading his squadron repeatedly in daring and aggressive raids against Japanese aerial forces, vastly superior in numbers, Major Galer availed himself of every favorable attack opportunity, individually shooting down 11 enemy bomber and fighter aircraft over a period of 29 days.
    3) Roy S. GEIGER Jr. (1920--2014) was the son of the late General "Jiggs" Roy S. Geiger (1885--1947) USMC and Mrs. Eunice R. Geiger. COL. Geiger graduated from The United States Military Academy, West Point, in 1942 and after a very distinguished military career spanning WWII through the Vietnam War, retired from active duty in June 1972.
    4) Saburo Sakai (1916--2000), a Japanese fighter pilot in World War II who said he shot down 64 Allied planes, including one of each type the United States flew, but who later befriended the Americans he once fought. Sub-Lieutenant Saburō Sakai (坂井 三郎 Sakai Saburō, (1916 – 2000) was a Japanese naval aviator and flying ace ("Gekitsui-O", 撃墜王) of the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II. Mr. Sakai had visited the United States a dozen times, sometimes meeting convivially with American pilots he had confronted in dogfights. His antagonism came to be directed toward Japan's leaders, particularly Emperor Hirohito. Mr. Sakai was dining with American military officers at the Atsugi Naval Air Station west of Tokyo and suffered a heart attack as he leaned across the table to shake hands with an American; he died later in a hospital on September 22 at 84.
    5) Joseph Jacob "Joe" Foss (1915–2003) was the leading fighter ace of the United States Marine Corps during World War II and a 1943 recipient of the Medal of Honor, recognizing his role in the air combat during the Guadalcanal Campaign. In postwar years, he achieved fame as a General in the Air National Guard, the 20th Governor of South Dakota, President of the National Rifle Association, and the first commissioner of the American Football League, as well as a television broadcaster.
    6) Air Commodore John Marlow Thompson CBE DSO DFC & Bar AFC (1914–1994) was a Second World War Royal Air Force ace and Battle of Britain pilot.
    7) Harry F. BOWERS (1970-2010) "Hank" was born on October 21, 1970 the son of Elizabeth Grace (Morris) Bowers of Point Marion, Pennsylvania and the now late Fred David Bowers. Frederick Albert "Fred" Bowers Sr. (1928--2010).
    He was educated in the Doubs schools and graduated from Fork Union Military Academy, Fork Union, Va., in 1946, The Bullis School in Silver Spring and the University of Maryland, College Park, with a B.S. degree in civil engineering. Mr. Bowers was a veteran of the U.S. Army during the Korean War. He received the Korean Service Medal with 3 Bronze Stars, the United Nations Service Medal, the Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation and the Merit Unit Commendation.
    A FORGOTTEN BATTLE
    One of the bloodiest conflicts between the United States and Japan during World War II (1939-1945), equaling Tarawa, Iwo Jima and Okinawa in scale and ferocity, the battle for Peleliu has long been regarded as the Pacific War's "forgotten battle", and perhaps one that should never have been fought. A massive carrier-based attack some weeks before the invasion destroyed all aircraft and shipping in the area and virtually isolated the Japanese garrison. 1st Marine Division commander, General Rupertus, made extravagant claims that the capture of Peleliu would "only take three days - maybe two." But the Japanese fought a bloody battle of attrition from prepared positions and in a struggle of unprecedented savagery a whole Marine Division was bled white."
    Signed Books: Show 'Em If You Got 'Em!Signed Books: Show 'Em If You Got 'Em!

This one just arrived. Can't wait to get started on it. Thank you, Steve!

Signed Books: Show 'Em If You Got 'Em!Signed Books: Show 'Em If You Got 'Em!

Nice to see your collection of signed books still growing my friend
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

A recent pick up, signed by the author in 1925 and with a dedication to the original owner Lt.Commander Galpin who worked in hut 6 at Bletchley park in WWII. Also has his family library book plate.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Signed Books: Show 'Em If You Got 'Em!   Signed Books: Show 'Em If You Got 'Em!  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Signed Books: Show 'Em If You Got 'Em!Signed Books: Show 'Em If You Got 'Em!Signed Books: Show 'Em If You Got 'Em!Signed Books: Show 'Em If You Got 'Em!Signed Books: Show 'Em If You Got 'Em!somewhat different than the norm. The man did not inscribe to me, personally.....

I got this one today as the Veteran was signing copies of his biography at a local militaria fair I was selling at.

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast