Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Some of my Soviet medal groups

Article about: Seaman 1st Class Vasily Fedorovich Lutsyuk His Red Star 553516 Comrade Lutsiuk has been fighting the German invaders since the very first days of the Patriotic War. To August 1942, Comrade L

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Default Some of my Soviet medal groups

When it comes to Soviet awards, I prefer groups, documented groups, groups that can be researched. This way, the history and story is maintained and the individual whose medals live for a few years or decades with me can be remembered.

As eye-candy, I thought I'd share a few of my groups, beaing in mind the "WWII" (Great Patriotic War ) and "military" focus of this forum. (I have other groups that fall outside this characterization.) I may violate my own title and focus and throw in some solo items as well, as time, energy, and reader interest allow.

Since all these are posted in greater detail elsewhere, I'll just share a sort of "bare bones" approach here. I am always quite happy to respond to questions or comments and add more information as desired.

2. # ADS

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Default Re: Some of my Soviet medal groups

Major General Vatslav Bronislavovich Lavrinovich, 23rd Army

Few medals, tons of documents. Researched. Killed at Leningrad.

1- Order of the Red Banner, type 1 - 10825

2- Jubilee Medal for 20 Years of the Workers' and Peasants' Red Army - 15126
    Attached Images Attached Images Some of my Soviet medal groups 

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Lieutenant Boris Ivanovich Shchukin, 766th “Assault” Red Banner, Order of Kutuzov Aviation Regiment

Red Banner 264731, missing an OPW 1 (226284 - anyone??).

Researched. An Il-2 pilot.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some of my Soviet medal groups  

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Guards Lt-Col. Mikhail Aleksandrovich Tolkachev, 22nd Motor-Rifle Brigade attached to the 6th Guards Tank Corps

A massive trove of things, and documents, and pictures, and research.

See: Schwind, No Deed Forgotten, pp. 20-21, 91.

(Sorry, the first OPW rotated when being scanned -- should re-scan?)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some of my Soviet medal groups   Some of my Soviet medal groups  

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Guards Major Semyon P. Prokhvatilov, 42nd Guards Tank Regiment

Documented, researched. Not exactly a "good boy"; from his MMM recommendation:

However, he now fails to exhibit any initiative in his activities even notwithstanding the low level of discipline in the battalion as well as cases of breaching military discipline by the officers as well as by the NCOs (enlisted). The procedures for standing guard in the battalion, for which he is personally responsible, are not in order.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some of my Soviet medal groups  

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Major Vladimir Fedorovich Dubrovin, Deputy Commander of Unit Cadres for Staff of the 1st White Russian Front

Documented, researched.

Very much a "staff" type. He may have heard that shots had been fired in anger?

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Colonel Vasily Terent’evich Belykh, Deputy Regimental Commander for political matters of 1205th Independent Self-propelled Artillery Regiment of the 1st White Russian Front

A Ukranian Commissar.

Yes, he has his medals mounted out of order.

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Lieutenant General Ivan Ivanov Kravchenko, ended up as Commander of Cadet Battalion, Cheropovetsky Infantry School

Sorry, his school diamond (strangely blank?) is duplicate din both scans.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some of my Soviet medal groups   Some of my Soviet medal groups  

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Guards Captain Vladimir Vasilievich Kulishenko, 156th Guards Brandenburg, Order of the Red Banner, Order of Suvorov Artillery Regiment, 77th Guards Chernigovskii, Order of Lenin, Order of Kutuzov, Order of the Red Banner Division

He was "there" from the first to the last, no paper-pusher here!

While I have photos of many of these folks, I haven't been posting them. In this case, however, the visage of the man is too powerful to ignore (the eyes!). At age 22, he had served on the front for three years eight months, been wounded four times, and been decorated five times.

See also: Schwind, No Deed Forgotten, pp. 11-12, 77-79, 105, 183.

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Captain Mikhail Ivanovitch Guzov, Utility Unit Chief of Headquarters of 36th Army, Zabaikalsk Front

Documented, researched.

Personally, I like the Mongolian "crossover" aspect here.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast