Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

the start of it all

Article about: by Woolgar Ah! Commando mags!! In the Army they were refered to as 'Officers Training Manuals' Nick I have a box crammed full of these somewhere

Default the start of it all

I was just wondering what started peoples interest
    Just though id post the start of it all for me.....

the start of it all

This is the picture of the signing of the armistice that used to hang at the bottom of my grandma's stairs, it belonged to my grandad who served in the army 1st world war (enlisting at 15yrs old) and then in the police force during ww2, who sadly passed before i was born.
    I can always remember staring at it completly mesmerized by it everytime i went to visit my grandma.
    I was honored to recieve it from my grandma as a birthday present ten or so years ago and since then it sits proudly at the top of my stairs.

I still get mesmerized by it today!!
    anyway, just wanted to share!
    Ed

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement the start of it all
    P
    Many

father was a soldier in ww2 when I was born.

the start of it all

My father encouraged me to watch World at War on PBS. It was fascinating. Plus, my uncle served in the Pacific with the Navy including the landings at Iwo Jima. NH

Growing up with my Grandparents and hearing stories of their experiences. My Grandad was bombed out of three houses and one school in Liverpool during the blitz. The school he was not that upset about He was also in the RAF as soon as he was old enough, and after that opened an Army surplus shop which I work in today.

Ed who is the artist of your painting? I would like a print of that.

I can honestly say that I've been interested in anything military-related since I've been able to read...My father and stepfather both Vietnam veterans, my American grandfather a D-Day veteran, my German grandfather an Ostfront veteran, and my grandmother a member of the BdM and later pressed into the armaments industry. Two of her brothers were killed in the war...
    Attending German school in the 1970s, several of my teachers were veterans of various branches of the German Army during the war...Needless to say, I was always fascinated by their experiences and always asked a lot of questions...I was 8 years old when I found two Luftwaffe rucksacks in a barn, and that was the beginning of my collecting endeavor...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by KradSpam View Post

Dunno the artist, but it's called "When did you last see your Kaiser?" and is a 'homage' to this English masterpiece.

the start of it all

Perhaps.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

the start of it all
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

My father, Anton Boos.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture the start of it all  
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Glad you like it, the picture is a fairly famous painting called "signing of the armistice" by a french artist called Pillard.
    the one i have is one of the original prints which were signed by the artist.
    There are a few companies that sell modern prints of it (link attached below) and i have seen these signed ones appear on ebay evey now and then.
    kind regards
    Ed
    The Signing of the Armistice on 11th November 1918 at 5 A.M., 1918 Giclee Print - AllPosters.co.uk

When I was 5 years old!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture the start of it all  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast