Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Stick Gren Collection...

Article about: Wow... thanks all of the nice comments, didn't expect to see so many Stick gren enthusiasts out there,, Thank You I'll be posting more as time goes on and as other examples arrive with more

Default Re: Stick Gren Collection...

Wow... thanks all of the nice comments, didn't expect to see so many Stick gren enthusiasts out there,, Thank You
    I'll be posting more as time goes on and as other examples arrive with more detail.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Scout View Post
    A few sticks!? ...whittle much, lol

That display case must blow visitors away! (sorry, Im sure, you've heard them all before)

Super nice collection and a nice departure from the norm IMO.

Would you mind awfully to give us a run-down of the most representative pieces and/or types in the collection?

I would be interested in regards to developement time line and efficiency etc.

I assume the 'pineapple' on a stick is from WWI? (I realize, that its not the one commonly known as a pineapple grenade).

I look forward to getting some details about these, if possible.

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Impressive collection Jeensy...I never saw a fragmentation stick grenade before...something new to me.

In this day and age,,to make stickgrenades would be too costly to have the handles made in wood...now everything is all polymers and plastics. Nice collection. Regards Larry
    In regards to the can-shaped fragmentation stick grenade (and not the more round 'pinaapple'shaped one on a stick), Im pretty sure, that the fragmentation part was a sleeve, which slid over the head of the stick grenade to boost effeciency.

Im sure the OP will correct me, if Im wrong?
    As the OP doesnt seem inclined to address some of the questions in this thread at this time (no problem BTW - in your own time), I'll elaborate on the fragmentation ring.

As I stated above, the ordinary 'can' shaped stick grenades (not the ball-shaped fragmentation stick grenades) can be equipped with what the Germans called a 'Splitterring' for fragmentation against personnel.

The following report on German stick hand grenades with a removable "shrapnel ring" was originally published in the Intelligence Bulletin, Vol. II, No. 9, May 1944.

DISCLAIMER: The following text is taken from the U.S. War Department Intelligence Bulletin publication. As with all wartime intelligence information, data may be incomplete or inaccurate. No attempt has been made to update or correct the text.

In Italy the German Army has been issuing the stick hand grenade, model 24, with a removable "shrapnel ring" fitted over the thin iron or steel casing, or head, of the grenade. This addition permits the German soldier to employ the grenade as a defensive weapon. The stick hand grenade with a shrapnel ring (labeled Stielhandgranate 24 mit Splitterring) is illustrated in figure 29.1

It should be remembered that all the hand grenades used by the German Army are normally of the "offensive" type; that is, they have a thin metal casing with a high proportion of explosive filler. Since they are of this type, they depend on blast effect, instead of on fragmentation of the casing, as in the U.S. "defensive-type" Mills grenade. The normal German hand grenades can be used safely by men advancing erect in the open, because they can be thrown a distance greater than their effective bursting radius.

On the other hand, the German stick hand grenade with a shrapnel ring is intended solely for use as a defensive weapon. Enemy instructions state that soldiers are to use it only when they are protected by good cover, since the shrapnel is effective up to a radius of 30 meters (about 32 1/2 yards). Without the ring, the grenade may be used in the usual manner.

These grenades are packed in boxes of five.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Splitterring was also called 'Splittermantel.' Here more info and pics:
    *Splittermantel für Stielhandgranate"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stick Hand Grenade with Shrapnel Ring.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	493628  

As the O/P of this I will be inclined to address any questions raised and freely give information and detailed photos "at my leisure" of course work must come first.
    So if you can bear with me I'll be posting very detailed replies when I have the time . I'm sure you would agree to make clear photo's and to spend the time to write up
    a document properly all takes time. Please feel free to PM me if you want any info on the hurry up.

Regards Nick
    Last edited by jeeeensy; 04-02-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Hi... Ok.. as The O/P of the thread, and now inclined to add further information, as requested
    Here is some info on WW2 Stielhandgranaten M24 and M43 offensive and defensive versions.
    Hope you find the info of interest.

The Frag sleeve was introduced in 1943 by Hitler himself, he issued a notice that in every box of 15 M24 a percentage must have frag sleeves. I think it was 30% ( will check and confirm)
    There are 2 types, smooth and serrated. some say smooth were for SS but normal infantry used them also. Both were used for either M24 of M43 Hgr's.
    When shipped they were slipped over the handles or over the can and left loose for fitting at a later date if required.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010626.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	264.2 KB 
ID:	494662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010627.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	494663  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010628.JPG 
Views:	292 
Size:	244.3 KB 
ID:	494664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010629.JPG 
Views:	711 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	494665  

M43

Name:	P1010631.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	494666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010632.JPG 
Views:	305 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	494667  

Smooth sleeve

Name:	P1010634.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	494668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010635.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	494669  

Default And one more type of M24 Hgr.. without the stick,

Smooth or serrated sleeve was used on m24 can with out the stick , an adaptor took its place, the Eier M39 / Stiel Hgr M43 BZ fuse was used.

Name:	P1010642.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	494673   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010640.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	494674  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010639.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	494675  
    Last edited by jeeeensy; 04-05-2013 at 05:55 PM.

?

Quote by jeeeensy View Post
    As the O/P of this I will be inclined to address any questions raised and freely give information and detailed photos "at my leisure" .....
    Quote by jeeeensy View Post
    Hi... Ok.. as The O/P of the thread, and now inclined to add further information, as requested ....
    Wow, that hit a nerve, since you had to point it out twice!

Here you thought you could slap a few pics on the forum and do a runner without info - JUST KIDDING!!

For the record: I did phrase it thus.....

Quote by Scout View Post
    no problem BTW - in your own time
    and I meant no offence. If you feel hurt by it, Ill gladly delete it at your request.
    I meant no harm and felt it was within the parametres of what was reaonable - especially with the caveat above.

Anyway, Water under the bridge.

Thanks for info and pics.

Ill bow out of the thread now, while the going is good

Ahh,,,,ha,, you can read,, and count ( now I'm just kidding )

Seriously, It's no problem and not hurt by it,, as the wife tells me .. " you've not got any feelings have you ? "

Will post some more Sticks later as I have a couple of WW1 stick en route.. when they arrive, well that's another thing.

and now,,,,,, its time for a pint..

?

Thanks for taking it in your stride

Look forward to more pics & info.

(atyourleisureofcourse!)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast