Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stokes Mortar.

Article about: by Panzer 3 Hi chris, The stokes you have is in very nice condition they are getting harder to find these days . Getting harder to find ?,,I WISH im sick of finding the bloody things. pis al

Default Stokes Mortar.

Hi,
    I thought I would show this Stokes Mortar for some of you that haven't seen one before. I have had it in my collection for many years now. The Stokes was designed in 1915 but not brought into service until later in the war, this is a 1917 mk1 3" howitzer mortar shell. It is 18 inches long and could fire 800 yards.

I have painted it in H.E, colours they were also used as a Gas mortar. You can see the interior paint which is original, but the pins and rings are replacements. This shell was dug on the Somme and in relic condition, I.E, mud ball, but came out ok after a couple of days work.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stokes Mortar.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Stokes Mortar.

Hi Dave, these are not too common I think? Nice to see one here on the forum.

That interior paint is in amazing condition!

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,
    Thank, yes the interior paint is very good i was pleased when i opened it up and saw that. I thought i would put some odd grnds on as not everyone has seen these types, I collect ww1 grnds my earliest is a British Battye grnd 1914.

Heres some we found at work this week,we are currently on a site where these were trialed/developed, and so far the ones that have been found are full of all sorts of inert fillings,scrap iron sand,coaldust ,shrapnel balls,solid lead etc etc
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stokes Mortar.   Stokes Mortar.  

Stokes Mortar.   Stokes Mortar.  

Stokes Mortar.  

Hi Guys,

These are very interesting items. Have any of you got photo's/diagrams of the way they were set up and used?

Kind Regards,Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

hi spotter,
    Nice pics thanks for showing them, as they are inert do you keep them or do they get scrapped ?. they are good to restore for a collection..
    dave.

Big Ned i have documents i will post up later for you..
    Dave unfortunately they all get smelted,we do occasionaly get to keep stuff with permission but not very often

Nice one Spotter!

I appreciate your fast response and look forward to your reply!!

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Sorry for late response been busy with work early starts late home etc ..ive had a look and sorry folks i was wrong the drawings i have of the stokes mortar show the anti aircraft set up,ive pulled a few images showing the tube in basic set up if theyre any interest and some drawing relating to the rounds,
    Note in the colour drawing showing the markings .the colours are NOT accurate they have been badly scanned and this has altered the shades what looks like yellow bodies should be a off white creamy colour
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stokes Mortar.   Stokes Mortar.  

Stokes Mortar.  

Hi Spotter,!

Thanks for your time gleaning the extra info,that's just what i wanted to know!The propellant cartdridge is very interesting, it appears almost identical to that of a shotgun cartridge,if perhaps a little shorter.

To fling that shell 800yds it must have considerable poke! Would it be a standard bore, say 10 or 8 bore as i'd guess 12 wouldn't be enough? I notice that the bottom of the case on your restored shell is bevelled slightly outwards. was it designed like this do you think? Or perhaps it was caused when the cartridge was fired? Again, any thoughts apreciated!!

Sorry for being a pain in the proverbial,

Regards, Ned.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast