Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Third Reich Divisional/Squadron/Flotilla/Traditions Badge Collection

Article about: No squadron or flotilla badges in the collection yet, but someday.... I've been interested in Divisional/Traditions badges for awhile, but only recently began collecting them. They can be to

?

Default Third Reich Divisional/Squadron/Flotilla/Traditions Badge Collection

No squadron or flotilla badges in the collection yet, but someday....

I've been interested in Divisional/Traditions badges for awhile, but only recently began collecting them. They can be tough little buggers to track down and, like everything else in this hobby, tend to be highly reproduced. There's also no good references dedicated to the subject, which seems to be a trend...I seem to fall for things with no dedicated reference.

First up, the display I made for my small collection...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Third Reich Divisional/Squadron/Flotilla/Traditions Badge Collection  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Third Reich Divisional/Squadron/Flotilla/Traditions Badge Collection
    P
    Many

?

A field-made crest for the 71st Infantry Division... this crest was recovered by a digger at the site of Stalingrad. I have seen a few of these, all in this rough, field-struck style. Some have a hole in the top for stitching, as you can see this one does not. I stitched it into the display above how I imagine it may have been done on the soldier's cap.

Next is an ax generally associated with the Pioneers. This was recovered with the 71st Infantry Division crest above, leading me to believe it was worn by a member of the 171st Pioneers in Stalingrad. I have not found any photos of either of these crests in wear, so I don't know if other pioneer units sported this, or if it could be associated as a unique badge worn by the 171st

Mushroom of the 205th Infantry Division, also ground recovered. I have never seen one of these that haven't been ground found. Not rare by any means, but an essential piece of a divisions badge collection

Crest of the 215th Infantry Division. These are fairly common to found ground dug, but quite difficult to find in good, non-dug condition like this one.

Oak Leaf of the 1st Panzer Division. Not overly a rare one, but a sought-after and thus harder to find emblem.

And finally, the emblem of the 116th Panzer Division. This is a well worn example that had the prongs broken or purposely removed, with holes punched to be stitched to the cap-a common practice. This is a desirable emblem due to the 116th's association with the Normandy campaign. This particular badge is the first divisional I ever owned, and came to me as part of a group of US Army veteran bringbacks a few years ago.

?

Couple of additions...slow going, but these are tough to find...

169th Infantry Division (ground dug)
    Third Reich Divisional/Squadron/Flotilla/Traditions Badge CollectionThird Reich Divisional/Squadron/Flotilla/Traditions Badge Collection

And 5th GJ Division...thanks to Aldo for pointing me to it!
    Third Reich Divisional/Squadron/Flotilla/Traditions Badge CollectionThird Reich Divisional/Squadron/Flotilla/Traditions Badge Collection

These are really cool! I've never seen a few of these before, and it's refreshing to see something out of the ordinary around here.

Thanks for sharing, and keep the collection going - I'd like to see more.