Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

U.S. WW1 4th Infantry Division Engineers grouping with rifle

Article about: This recently came from an attic in Portland and includes a Springfield O3 rifle though I am sure it was purchased after the war. It is from a Sergeant Edward Lee from the 4th Engineers. The

Default U.S. WW1 4th Infantry Division Engineers grouping with rifle

This recently came from an attic in Portland and includes a Springfield O3 rifle though I am sure it was purchased after the war. It is from a Sergeant Edward Lee from the 4th Engineers. The case carried it all. It has his helmet, gas mask, souvenir "hate belt", wool hit with engineer pin,mess kit, ephemera, a late 1920s scrapbook covering the Palestine / Israel issue as it pertained to the time, promotion warrants to Corporal and Sergeant, "Skirmishers" newspapers for the 4th Engineers, 4th ID in WW1 book, a Stars and Stripes comic book and maps. There is more at the household and I have to be patient for the rest to be dug out.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S. WW1 4th Infantry Division Engineers grouping with rifle   U.S. WW1 4th Infantry Division Engineers grouping with rifle  

U.S. WW1 4th Infantry Division Engineers grouping with rifle   U.S. WW1 4th Infantry Division Engineers grouping with rifle  

U.S. WW1 4th Infantry Division Engineers grouping with rifle   U.S. WW1 4th Infantry Division Engineers grouping with rifle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U.S. WW1 4th Infantry Division Engineers grouping with rifle
    P
    Many

Wow what a find,this is the stuff of dreams,how lucky are you,well done and thanks for sharing..........!
    The Helmet is fantastic so is the SBR mask + bag and even anti-mist included.!

Very nice find indeed. Some 0000 steel wool and lots of Hoppes #9 gun cleaning solvent will clean up the rifle nicely. Just be real gentle.

Thanks for sharing
    Burt

CBH
    ?

Great find ! I'd like to see all that Hate belt , a very collectable item itself .

Chris, thanks for the reply. I will lay it out carefully tomorrow as it is a bit brittle. The buckle is back a ways for some reason but oh well. I would love to know what got plucked from it.

Wonderful group
    I'd also like to see the hate belt.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

Perfect time capsule!

And yes, I want to see the Hate Belt too!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Default hate belt portion

Alright ! For those of you who asked for it.. Here is the hate belt bit by bit.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S. WW1 4th Infantry Division Engineers grouping with rifle   U.S. WW1 4th Infantry Division Engineers grouping with rifle  

Default Panoramic. F Co. 4th Eng.

Ohh, I also have the yard long panoramic from the early days at Vancouver Barracks, WA. He is in there somewhere.. I just do not know where he is.

I want to thank another forum member Rogier from the Netherlands for his astute study into the 4th Division and particularly Sergeant Edward Lee. Here is a bio of the subject and it turns out.. he was no slouch:

Sergeant Edward J. Lee, 4th Engineers, Company F.
    569,219. White. Elmira, Lane County, Oregon. Born on November 15th, 1893 (1892), in Brownlee, Cherry County, Nebraska. Enlisted in Regular Army, on May 29th, 1917, at Vancouver Barracks, Washington. 24,5 years. Company F, 4th Engineers, to discharge. Private 1st Class, August 19th, 1917; Corporal, September 23rd, 1917; Sergeant, April 1st, 1919. Served overseas, from May 1st, 1918, to July 29th, 1919. Honorably discharged on August 9th, 1919. 1945 address: 5731 West 22nd Place, Cicero, Illinois. Died on April 15th, 1964. Buried in Section G, Grave 5448, Willamette National Cemetery, Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon.
    Cited in General Orders No. 42, July 30th, 1919, on board of the U.S.S. Mount Vernon: "August 5th - 8th, 1918, Vesle River. He accompanied his Company Commander on reconnoitering trips beyond the front line and carried messages from the front line to Battalion and Regimental Headquarters, always under the fire and practically without rest for four days and nights. In spite of danger, difficulty and fatigue, he successfully delivered every message entrusted to him, and displayed courage and devotion to duty in the highest degree."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast