Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Under Foreign Flags - American Volunteers in the Great War

Article about: The following are photos of a display I put on last summer at a local militaria show. The them was American Volunteers in Foreign Armies, featuring uniforms of American who served in the Ame

Default Under Foreign Flags - American Volunteers in the Great War

The following are photos of a display I put on last summer at a local militaria show. The them was American Volunteers in Foreign Armies, featuring uniforms of American who served in the American Field Service with the French, one of the uniforms of George Thomson from Missouri who flew with RAF 74 Squadron, and last the French uniform of a man named Ben Carpenter who volunteered with the American Field Service, joined the American Red Cross for the winter of 1917-1918 and then in the Spring of '18, enlisted as an aspirant with the French artillery.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Under Foreign Flags - American Volunteers in the Great War   Under Foreign Flags - American Volunteers in the Great War  

Under Foreign Flags - American Volunteers in the Great War   Under Foreign Flags - American Volunteers in the Great War  

Under Foreign Flags - American Volunteers in the Great War   Under Foreign Flags - American Volunteers in the Great War  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Under Foreign Flags - American Volunteers in the Great War
    P
    Many

Default Re: Under Foreign Flags - American Volunteers in the Great War

Quote by Croix de Guerre View Post
    The following are photos of a display I put on last summer at a local militaria show. The them was American Volunteers in Foreign Armies, featuring uniforms of American who served in the American Field Service with the French, one of the uniforms of George Thomson from Missouri who flew with RAF 74 Squadron, and last the French uniform of a man named Ben Carpenter who volunteered with the American Field Service, joined the American Red Cross for the winter of 1917-1918 and then in the Spring of '18, enlisted as an aspirant with the French artillery.
    more,,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Under Foreign Flags - American Volunteers in the Great War   Under Foreign Flags - American Volunteers in the Great War  

Stunning display. A fantastic tribute to those Americans who volunteered.

Cheers, Ade.

Dont forget the German ex-pats who returned to the Fatherland from the Americas and volunteered for the Kaiser. Quite a few i believe.

Quote by oradour View Post
    Dont forget the German ex-pats who returned to the Fatherland from the Americas and volunteered for the Kaiser. Quite a few i believe.
    You find me a uniform group like that to add to my collection and Id be happy to!

?

Great display !! Would like to see that in person someday . I never thought about American volunteers in foreign service . Kind of interesting .
    Thank You for posting these pictures !!!
    Dave

Quote by davekj View Post
    Great display !! Would like to see that in person someday . I never thought about American volunteers in foreign service . Kind of interesting .
    Thank You for posting these pictures !!!
    Dave
    Dave, Thanks for the kind words. The first uniform group to the left (the khaki, high collared one) is ID'd to a guy from Norwalk, Ohio. Marietta College in Marietta, Ohio sent over a large amount of AFS volunteers.