Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

WW II Kamakazi death flag signed by Emperor along with death photo album including hand written letters.

Article about: Hi .... my father was on the USS Saratoga and always told me the story as a kid of his most prized possession . How he was in the radio room where he worked and heard a plane crash above the

Default Re: WW II Kamikaze death flag signed by Emperor along with death photo album including hand written letters.

Is the flag that PatR and Zwerge posted the same flag or is the one that Zwerge posted is a real flag for comparison? By the way I have read that the "divine wind" pilots did in fact take photos and letters with them,I think it has something to do with the respect and worship of their ancestors.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: WW II Kamikaze death flag signed by Emperor along with death photo album including hand written letters.

Quote by operaman View Post
    Is the flag that PatR and Zwerge posted the same flag or is the one that Zwerge posted is a real flag for comparison? By the way I have read that the "divine wind" pilots did in fact take photos and letters with them,I think it has something to do with the respect and worship of their ancestors.
    They are both the same flag. Zwerge has lightened the photo and rotated it so it can be read properly.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Default Re: WW II Kamakazi death flag signed by Emperor along with death photo album including hand written letters.

Thanks.There should be someone on this forum that can translate for us.If this is real I think giving it back to his family would be a grand deed, if not give it to the WWII museum in New Orleans and take a big tax deduction.That way we can all see the flag and read the story behind it.

?

Default Re: WW II Kamakazi death flag signed by Emperor along with death photo album including hand written letters.

I highly recommend you to NOT give it to the WWII Museum in New Orleans, as they have one of the largest collections of WWII artifacts in the U.S. Their entire collection is donated, and they have a warehouse where the collection is stored. Also, they would not buy it, but expect it to be donated. If you donate it to them I can guarantee that it will be put in a box on a shelf and left there for decades. If you want it to be put on display where it will be seen, I recommend giving it to a smaller, maybe local museum.

I have to agree - Sometimes long past events get re-told time and again, and can
    become embellished by proud, well intentioned family members. It may be
    possible that the items were retrieved in less dramatic way, but the eye-
    witnessed event of a Japanese plane crashing into a battleship took
    presidence because it made more exciting telling. Eventually, the
    history innocently becomes more grand than the actual facts.

I've heard stories of soldiers acquiring items from an enemy that was just killed,
    but the souvenirs have no connection with a combat environment, and were
    simply picked up somewhere along the way. Informed collectors tend to
    be skeptical of 'stories' - whether they are directly from Vets families
    or otherwise - because it is a deceptive technique used
    to make sales today.

No doubt, regardless if your father was on the ship that was hit that day,
    and got the items in said manner, I could not bear to sell something
    with this much family pride and history behind it if these
    were my items.........

The questions and concerns here are not about the deeds,
    but the items themselves.

Quote by JLGH View Post
    I highly recommend you to NOT give it to the WWII Museum in New Orleans, as they have one of the largest collections of WWII artifacts in the U.S. Their entire collection is donated, and they have a warehouse where the collection is stored. Also, they would not buy it, but expect it to be donated. If you donate it to them I can guarantee that it will be put in a box on a shelf and left there for decades. If you want it to be put on display where it will be seen, I recommend giving it to a smaller, maybe local museum.
    I'm sure many items donated to some museums end up going out the back
    door as well, never to be placed in an exhibit or display. Once out of your
    hands, it's gone for good - left to fate and the gods..........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

All the main radio stations appear to be above decks, in particular the second level just aft of the bridge and pilots bridge, which for most vessels would be the norm, according to the photos of the actual attacks , the flight deck received all of the hits and none around the main superstructure of the conning tower and bridge areas, however one report states that the crane forward of the bridge received a direct hit and the aircraft was consumed in flames as were a number of american planes, the three bombs that detonated below decks was aft apparently and a great deal of the deaths occurred below decks , not withstanding the damage sustained just above the waterline having been hit by one or two zeros. According to surviving members of the "Divine Wind" the main target was always the flight decks, these being destroyed an aircraft carrier becomes virtually ineffectual

The blown up stamp on the second page has the date 21st year of Showa 11th monh, 3rd day that translates to November 3, 1946. That is a little late for a kamikaze attack. The word Showa is the emperor's Buddist name. It is the era of his reign, not his signature.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Bob, is there anything to be told from the flag itself, ie emperors signature, seal etc, or more to the point would a flag like this have received such a notation
    cheers Dave

?

Interesting how these items were posted several times on different sub-forums...

I am afraid to say that I remain very sceptical about this whole story. As pointed out earlier, men under "battle stations" conditions would hardly go off trying to acquire momentos from a highly dangerous area.

If however, these items do match the story, then it would be something quite special. Pat, you should try to respond to the questions that have been posted. Also, please understand that the members here are all collectors, and when a new member appears, blatantly advertising an incredible collection for sale, alarm bells will ring. Don't take offence at this, I merely want you to recognise the position we comment from.

Regards,

Carl
    Experienced guide and published author leading detailed study trips to the former KZ sites of Nazi Germany. Contact for further details.

www.concentrationcamptours.com

www.concentrationcampmoney.com

"maka akaŋl oyate maŋi pi ki le, tuweŋi wypeya oki hi sni"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast