Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 medals of relatives

Article about: Wasn't sure whether to put this in the 'Western Allies' section but in the end it is in here. On the top row of the image are the medals belonging to my wifes uncle. Francis (Frank) Reid was

Default WW2 medals of relatives

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the 'Western Allies' section but in the end it is in here.

On the top row of the image are the medals belonging to my wifes uncle.

Francis (Frank) Reid was initially a member of the Royal Artillery before joining the Raiding Support Regiment. He saw action in various European countries including Greece where he fought on the Island of Crete. He was awarded the right-most medal by the Greek Government.

Frank wrote a book about his time on Crete entitled 'I was in Noahs Ark' (also has the title 'Resistance Fighter')

Sadly after his death, his wife destroyed all of the kit he had kept (Regimental badge and beret of RSR included). His medals however, still survive.

On the bottom row are the medals belonging to my grandad. He served in the Royal Air Force and during the Battle of Britain wasthe armourer for Johnny Walkers aircraft.

My grandad later served in India and Burma.

In later life he was awarded the British Empire Medal (BEM)

WW2 medals of relatives

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 medals of relatives
    P
    Many

CBH
    ?

Sad to hear his kit was destroyed , but it's great his metals still survive .

Are you going to have them mounted ?

Yeah Chris we were thinking about it. I like them in the case just now along with my Third Reich items but at some point we may get them mounted. I'd rather spend the money on an Iron Cross at the moment ha ha!

Nice family groups. Good to see your wife's uncle's
    medals were saved, but the Pacific Star - is it a
    replacement ? Does not seem to have the
    same age/patina as the others.

Might there be a citation for the BEM ?
    It was sometimes awarded a year
    or so after the war.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Hey Steve,

There is a citation for the BEM. The medal pictured is actually a replica (I know, I hate reps too!) as my dad has the original + box + citation + award invitation.

As for the Pacific Star, the ribbon is a replacement and as for the star itself, I'm assured it is original. My wifes mum has had the medals until recently and decided to give it a clean as "it was an awfy mess" so I don't know if she used straight sulphuric acid or now has tennis elbow due to the polishing!

The great thing with the BEM is that they're named.........
    Regards,

Steve.