Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

"pebbled" DAF-Werkschar buckle

Article about: Ben, Correct... but to what Bill provided as his initial rational (which I think was plausible and now seems somewhat debunked as he stated), I too question why Frank would use their early t

Dan D
    ?

Default Re: "pebbled" DAF-Werkschar buckle

Ben,

Correct... but to what Bill provided as his initial rational (which I think was plausible and now seems somewhat debunked as he stated), I too question why Frank would use their early trademark (or pre RZM) and Overhoff's use of the later RZM M4 code. This would tell me that this type buckle was possibly produced for a number of years yet most manufacturing catalogues show the more common, non pebbled buckle.

Perhaps Christian can provide the answer in his indepth collection of manufacturing catalogues? I will reach out to him and ask.

2. # ADS

That would be good Dan if you could
    Ben

Perhaps the Franke connection is misleading us a little. There appears to be a reference here to the Franke logo as early and pre RZM. Not so. I hold images of an RAD buckle by Franke and which has the very distinctive logo on the buckle lip. The leather tongue is clearly stamped 1936.

Another point is even though I lazily titled the thread "Werkschar", this is only a guess. Was it Werkschar ?

What is really niggling me is the cog and swastika design seen on both the Overhoff and Franke buckles. They are very, very similar to an almost unbelievable degree and toward which I find most puzzling.

Why should two well known buckle manufacturers produce such a strange buckle ? I can well imagine the quite "free spirit" company of Franke with this buckle as a very limited production and issue piece from the mid 1930’s, to be then possibly prohibited by the DAF and RZM - although surely not Overhoff.

Regards,

David

I don't totally disagree on Dan's theory but I have to ask; if these were issue buckles produced in any number why are they so extremely rare. I still believe -call it a hunch- that hese were test/prototype buckles that were not accepted. David states that they may not even be Werkschaar. This may be the case as well but what else could they be -an early prototype Teno?
    I love this hobby!

Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2