Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Another DRK hewer

Article about: Since there has been a recent rise in DRK hewer threads I thought I would post mine. This is one of my favorite TR daggers/hewers that I have in my collection. Although it is lacking the fro

Default Another DRK hewer

Since there has been a recent rise in DRK hewer threads I thought I would post mine.

This is one of my favorite TR daggers/hewers that I have in my collection. Although it is lacking the frog I am still very happy to have this example. Prior to joining the forum I only had limited reference information that was found in the Johnson dagger books, which didn't go into too much detail about some of the variations from the different makers..

Based on the research I have done and looking at examples here, I have come to the conclusion that the DRK hewer that I have is a PDL made dagger. I am basing this on the scabbard tip which lacks the 2 screws commonly found on the Klass made version and looking at pictures of other PDL hewers. I am always looking for other tell tale signs to positively ID an item as well and without me removing the grip screws to find out (Which I really have no desire in compromising the bakelite handles) the maker for now will continue to be just an assumption on my behalf.

Also looking at the hewer more closely, the Ges. Gesch patent stamp is on the front side of the blade (under the Eagle crest on the blade). In looking at other DRK hewers the Ges. Gesch marking was on the backside of the blade. Now there are some questions that could arise when determining further the maker. For example: Did Klass made DRK hewers have the Ges. Gesch stamp on the back of the hewer blade and PDL chose to assemble their daggers with the patent mark on the front? Was my hewer at one time disassembled and put back together again reversed? I don't know the answer and that is why I continue to research.

So here is my DRK hewer for all to see..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another DRK hewer   Another DRK hewer  

Another DRK hewer   Another DRK hewer  

Another DRK hewer   Another DRK hewer  

Attached Images Attached Images Another DRK hewer 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another DRK hewer
    P
    Many

Here are more that didn't upload the first time..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another DRK hewer   Another DRK hewer  

?

PDL. Out of my data base Ges on the front of the blade is exclusively on PDL style rundles and I have yet to find a Klaas style eagle with Gesh on the front. With that PDL also put them on the back and I have yet to find a correlation front to back, might just be less stringent standards or maybe there is a difference between marked and unmarked PDL blade (but I am not about to ask a bunch of people to open their blades.) There really isn't much way to turn the blades on these, they are riveted in manufacture and the grip plates are the only thing that comes off easy.

M.E.E.

Thank you for the plethora of information.. You are a valued and quite respected member.. I am honored to have your assessment to my hewer..

Smitty

Nice DRK .. all you want is a nice used frog for it.

Stevade,

Thank you for the compliment.. Yes I will be searching for one..(frog)

Smitty

?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    M.E.E.

Thank you for the plethora of information.. You are a valued and quite respected member.. I am honored to have your assessment to my hewer..

Smitty
    You are welcome and glad to be of help and thanks for the information. I am trying to get as many of these in a data base and figure out more about them so any info is good info.
    Thanks