Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Auction catalogue: Red Cross dagger

Article about: Not an area I know anything about or collect but am intrigued by this weapon? More info would be welcome Description: A Nazi style dagger, the steel blade with serrated edge, Reich eagle des

Default Auction catalogue: Red Cross dagger

Not an area I know anything about or collect but am intrigued by this weapon? More info would be welcome

Description:
    A Nazi style dagger, the steel blade with serrated edge, Reich eagle design cross guard and composition grip, together with metal scabbard and leather frog, 41cm in length. Estimate: £200 - £300

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 11.42.09.png
Views: 1414
Size:  231.1 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 11.41.49.png 
Views:	2745 
Size:	301.8 KB 
ID:	494608
    Last edited by Larry C; 04-11-2013 at 01:13 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Auction catalogue: A Nazi style dagger?

DRK dagger...Deutsches Rotes Kreuz,I have no Idea of value.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

red cross dagger good price

A good deal if it sells at that price, I was looking at one in only slightly better condition than this last week via a mailing list and it had gone within hours for £495.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

A bit of info regarding this hewer, it's design, uses and manufacturing details courtesy of Germandaggers.com.

The DRK Hewer was authorised for daily wear in February 1938.

It was 40 cm long and authorised for daily wear by Red Cross NCO’s and subordinates ranking from Helfer to Haupthelfer. The Hewer was mainly manufactured by Robert Klaas and P D Luneschloss.

The Pommel had a flattened top and the cross guard had an oval space into which a Red Cross insignia was fixed. The insignia was an eagle with a swastika on its breast and spread wings. At the eagle’s feet was the International symbol of the Red Cross, a cross with equal extensions based upon points of the compass. The hilts are made of a cheap white metal base with a thin nickel plating of about 2 microns.

The grips were made from two pieces of black Bakelite secured with 2 screws.

The blade was wide with a saw tooth edge on one side that was used for removing plaster casts and preparing splints. The tip of the blade was squared off to conform to the Geneva Convention of medical staff not carrying offensive weapons.

The scabbard was black, enamelled and fitted with nickel platted chape and locket. The Hewer was carried in a leather frog and secured by a clip on the scabbard.

A silver coloured Portapee with blue threads on the crown, tied onto the black leather frog via the fabric strap, completed the accoutrements.

The Hewer was issued from the stores when required, no personnel purchases were allowed.

The Hewer was discontinued in 1940.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

If anyone is interested in bidding this is the link:

Lot 197 - Antiques and Collectables (05 Apr 2013) - Live Auction - Rye Auction Galleries - the-saleroom.com

Not my area of interest other than I had not seen the like before

Thanks Big Ned, I was wondering why the squared-off blade.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Not mint but still in pretty good shape, since its an auction, by the time you add on the 15% buyers premium plus 3% additional online charge, plus any paypal fee's if you choose to buy that way, plus the shipping cost, well add all that up and you will be lucky to get this for what its worth. For me auctions never paid off after all the fee's, unless you are there in person and nobody else bids against you, but anyway, Minty ones go for around 800+ here, I collect many edged weapons but IMO this is the ugly duckling of them all and not worth what they go for. although a completed officer version is pretty nice, but also way over priced.

?

4thskorpion,
    These were DRK mannschafts dagger, I believe the purpose of the squared end was if the sanitäter was active on the battle field, they weren't allowed to carry any weapons at all, with a squared end the dagger couldn't harm anyone. The saw edge was there to help saw splints, crutches to length that type of thing, also importantly if taken prisoner they must be seen to be unarmed. Reckon the one shown although not top class will hit 500€.

Default Re: Auction catalogue: Red Cross dagger

An old thread fo mine will give you a bit more info:

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/dagger...ns-hewer-1027/

Cheers, Ade.
    Last edited by Larry C; 04-11-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!