Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Can you import gravity knife to the uk

Article about: Hi there, I am based in the uk. I have just bought a paratrooper gravity knife after sending the money I had the realisation that it may be illegal. Has anyone got any advice please. Toby

tobyone007
    ?

Default Can you import gravity knife to the uk

Hi there, I am based in the uk. I have just bought a paratrooper gravity knife after sending the money I had the realisation that it may be illegal. Has anyone got any advice please.

Toby

2. # ADS

Default Re: Can you import gravity knife to the uk

Hi Toby
    And welcome to the forum

Can I ask where's it coming from?
    The laws are pretty strict now. Your only saving grace is that it is declared as a military collectable, then you may get away with it. Personally there are enough in this country without compounding problems.
    If coming from the EU you may stand a better chance, but from the states.............bit hit and miss

i was talking to a guy who collect these on Sunday, he was saying that the police class these as flick knives here in the UK, and as you know they are illegal here, i dont know myself if this is true or not maybe someone else here knows,
    cheers Ronnie

Toby

Gravity knives are illegal in the UK.

The Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959 prohibited the possession and importation of gravity knives.

Doesn't matter what it is described as - if Customs (UKBA nowadays ) find it when it is imported you lose it.

There is also a theoretical risk of prosecution for attempting to import one.

Regards

Richie

Is it illegal to buy a WW2 gravity knife fron a dealer in the UK?

I thought the 1988 Act has made it illegal to import such a knife and if you sell such a knife that is an offence too, but it is not illegal to own such a knife.

I'd appreciate some feedback.

Cheers, A

It's not an offence to buy one in the UK from a dealer, as long as it's bought as a collectable. Although god knows how you prove that one

If it is illegal, then there are a lot of dealers and customers breaking the law.........I think it's the way they feel at the time, as whether to confiscate or not. Just look at Beltring this year. A dozen or so dealers got pounced on by the police and customs, and confiscated items that would generally be classed as OK.

So you tell me

The law:-

Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959

Penalties for offences in connection with dangerous weapons.

(1) Any person who manufactures, sells or hires or offers for sale or hire, [F1or exposes or has in his possession for the purpose of sale or hire] or lends or gives to any other person—
    (a)
    any knife which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, sometimes known as a “flick knife” or “flick gun”; or
    (b)
    any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force and which, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever, or other device, sometimes known as a “gravity knife”,

shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on summary conviction in the case of a first offence to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months or to a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale or to both such imprisonment and fine, and in the case of a second or subsequent offence to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale or to both such imprisonment and fine.

So strangely enough it is not an offence to buy one although it is an offence to import one (or sell or give one to someone)

Doesn't matter what it is called - military collectable or otherwise.

I suspect the police may have other things to do than prosecuting militaria dealers for selling gravity knives.

If you can prove possession of a gravity knife prior to 1959 there isn't a problem.

Regards

Richie

Did you manage to get your knife?

tobyone007
    ?

Didn't bother with the knife in the end. Thought it was to much of a risk.

?

Yup, flick knives and gravity knives (this is the exact description) are on the U.K Customs list of restricted items for import into the U.K.