Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Care and display of daggers

Article about: I have a question about the care and display of daggers.I have my collection displayed in a glass and wood curio cabinet each dagger is displayed on a two tier Lucite display I like showing

Default Care and display of daggers

I have a question about the care and display of daggers.I have my collection displayed in a glass and wood "curio" cabinet each dagger is displayed on a two tier Lucite display I like showing the blade outside the scabbed.The case is dry and lighted and I have a couple of those little packets of moisture absorbers ( I guess thats what you call those things).I guess what I am asking is it ok to leave the blade outside the scabbed all the time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Care and display of daggers
    P
    Many

Default Re: Care and display of daggers

That all sounds fine.

The only thing I would do is "RenWax" the blades.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I've heard a bit about simichrome, is it ok to use on the dagger blade before I use the renaissance wax? I'm just a bit concerned about whether it is mildly abrasive like many metal polishes.

Yes perfectly safe. Done it myself. Just work with the crossgrain of the blade. Clean off with a soft cloth, then wax.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks mate!

Thanks Ade,I have RenWax I got it on your recommendation it works great

Hi Operaman you are not too far from me in New Jersey,, my advice to you is that be very aware of the climate,, especially in our region. As you know the summers here are very humid,, and regardless of the small gel packs,,the intensity of the humidity is very overwhelming. The gel packs are helpful if used in a zipper case for storage but in more of an open area as a curio cabinet,,which is not tightly sealed. Absolutely what Ade has advised is to Ren Wax your blades. At the end of the season wipe your blades with a "dry cloth" although they are already Ren waxed,, just wipe them anyway,, it cant hurt. In my cabinet I use an opened plastic sandwich bag and half fill it with "Uncooked white rice" this works the same way as the gel packs. I put the baggie at the bottom of the curio in a corner unseen or behind something. Even with this method i still wipe the blades. One thing you will notice is that Patina will set in quicker on your dagger fittings than normal but over quite a few months. This is desirable but still should be checked. One thing i am glad of is that I do not live close to the beach as the salt air will destroy your dagger very quickly. I must be difficult for some collectors whos homes are close to the sea. Museums are diligent in protecting the history of an artifact,,I myself like to be the same when it comes to this kind of history. I am sure you must have a beautiful cabinet and display. Best regards Larry

Thanks again Larry I will try the rice method you mentioned We do have a humidity problem from May to October my central AC works overtime during those months.When I want to show Friends my collection It is easer if displayed blade and scabbed it cuts down on touching

Fortunately for me, "up here" we do not have to worry too much about humidity, it is dry all the time.
    Here is how I display some of my daggers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Care and display of daggers   Care and display of daggers  

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

rbminis, that is a very nice display, not only of the daggers but all the other items as well. I particularly like the way you have each dagger displayed with a miniature.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast