Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Deutchland Erwache Pocket knife??

Article about: \\$900.- and this one could be yours.

And it is with opinions that drives this forum ....... @ Dave .. The letter "G" in Solingen is there if you look closely at the serif on the right side of the letter .. It is faint but still means nothing as present day cutlery and edged weapons will still show the Solingen name... IMO there still is not enough fact and reference to convince me that this knife has any hope of being authentic. For the seasoned collectors who have seen every added attribute in replicating a period worn artifact . From scratches to shoe polish .....what needs to be seen is period reference or some other supporting photos before I can believe water to come from a rock... Which also the latter has happened but that would be for another study on another forum. I hopeful to see some of these at the upcoming Max Show. Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 08-08-2013 at 07:55 PM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutchland Erwache Pocket knife??
    P
    Many

There is something that seems really out of place with the fooled around with logo area in contrast to the high polish blades and the unblemished handles - and it's not "in hand" using instead the pictures posted. But after looking at the different images I think that there may be another possibility. And that is whatever was on the blade was removed (if there was anything there). And the logo we see now machine engraved by hand not stamped - followed up by some filing/grinding to remove mistakes and/or try and camouflage the new work. Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutchland Erwache Pocket knife??  

Here is another image with some of the glare from the lighting dialed down just a little. Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutchland Erwache Pocket knife??  

Yes, i see the dilemma - But still, i see the latter of my 2 possibilities in post 30 as being a very real one. The more you look at the logo part, the more you can see that those marks may have possibly been caused by opening food cans, breaking open Tank hatches, cutting bread, sawing through frozen, cold, barbed wire... In any case, for the interested, there appears to be 60 pages dedicated to pocketknives in the book:
    DEUTSCHE KAMPFMESSER. Whether there are any images, and what those images are, i cant say? maybe its all the DEUTSCHLAND ERWACHE and 3 finger-salutes-whilst-holding-onto-a-tattered-flag knives in there as real?
    @Fred. Yes i already thunk about the possibility of "something" being removed, and have not only seen this "removal-trickery" before on Köller knives, but have also managed to capture it on video as well. Amazing what a few detailed high resolution images reveal. ► Vid.◄
    Last edited by Jo Rivett; 08-08-2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: forgot Fred

?

Looks like garbage to me. I wouldn't spend a dime on it. Looks like many of the post war pocket knives you see.

And if you turn the image into negative? some older writing seems to be ever so slightly visible.

I, too, can see the past engraving.
    IMO, this knife is the same as the others, pure junk! And until I see concrete evidence which states otherwise, it will always be junk in my opinion.

It also appears the wear was done prior to the engraving we see now, which is quite evident if you look closely to the letters. Not to mention, if this is indeed Hilter, I wouldn't imagine he'd be to fawn of the quality used in which he is depicted.

Quote by Metallwarenfabrik View Post
    And if you turn the image into negative? some older writing seems to be ever so slightly visible.
    You are indeed the master of imagery to make a point - which I think that I have seen a time or two (+) . And while I was thinking Hecho en China (中國製造), perhaps it is Fabrique au USA . With one of the other things that troubles me being the smooth, unblemished obverse side of the blade opposite the logo. I wonder how that happened. All the best, Fred

If we were to apply forensics here, we notice that the wear and tear on the logo part is conform with that of a downward stabbing motion - providing the knife was held in the right hand at an angle of no more than 27°, and by a person no taller than 4 foot 3". Just saying.... there were small people in the Third Reich...so there you go....
    ...one of the things that troubles me...
    The trouble part usually only starts after you have bought it, and want to give it back

Im trying not to laugh MWfabrik.. I see your sarcasm.....but really.... this has nothing to do with the condition of the ricasso area of this pen knife....but im glad you closed with your ending quote....: "The trouble part usually only starts after you have bought it, and want to give it back!" [end quote]

There is much to say about the worn scratched away producers name and only in that one spot as Fred points out...where is the rest of the wear on the knife. I like the "frozen cold barbed wire theory"......but on just one side of the pen knife and no other blemishes can be found anywhere else...............LOL Now Im off topic!!...............ANYWAY

I would also like too consider the grip plates themselves as are they made of the same material used during the period and should these grip plates show some kind of age or slight brittleness to them. We see for example the "mother of pearl grips used on Govt and diplomat daggers..after over 75 yrs..some do exhibit some aging. What kind of material are these grip plates on this wonderful pen knife. WHAT IS THE CONDITION also of the grip plates?..is there any minute scratches..that would coincide with the barbed wire theory with what is seen on the ricasso? All I see is scratching in one small location..everything else looks mint!

Is there any proof of the practice of inset metal during the TR period as we see the Boy Scout 3 fingered fuhrer example? It would be more believable to see a printed version as seen a few pages back on this thread with a cool looking small purse to hold it in.

so gents my questions...the conditon of the grip plates and the Inset metal practice!...comments? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast