Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Deutsche Rotes Kreuz Man's Hewer

Article about: Hi Guys, I think these are a very under rated item when it comes to collectors. They are quite impressive when viewed in hand, measuring some 40cm long. The frog and knot are very hard to fi

Default Deutsche Rotes Kreuz Man's Hewer

Hi Guys, I think these are a very under rated item when it comes to collectors.

They are quite impressive when viewed in hand, measuring some 40cm long.

The frog and knot are very hard to find. (I do not like repros but in this case I made an exception. The knot in this case is a high end repro. Always check these with a black light.The threads will glow.)

There were only two known makers of these hewers. The blade tang is maker marked "PDL" for "P.D. Luneschloss" on my example. The other maker is "Robert Klass". The blade is marked behind the crossguard with the "Ges. Geschutz" patent protection mark.

There are some unusual design features to this hewer. First of all is the sawback toothed blade; next is the screwdriver or chisel point. It is said the Red Cross are forbidden to carry a pointed sidearm. Both of these features were designed to be used in practise, making splints etc, as opposed to this being just a dress item. The grip being chequered on one side and plain on the other again is different from the norm.

The crossguard and pommel fittings are made from plated zinc. Always try and obtain an example with good plating to the fittings.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsche Rotes Kreuz Man's Hewer   Deutsche Rotes Kreuz Man's Hewer  

Deutsche Rotes Kreuz Man's Hewer   Deutsche Rotes Kreuz Man's Hewer  

Deutsche Rotes Kreuz Man's Hewer  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsche Rotes Kreuz Man's Hewer
    P
    Many

tonynorman50
    ?

Default Re: Deutsche Rotes Kreuz Man's Hewer

Hello,

Newbie here. I'm researching this exact knife online, and came across your thread. My grandfather fought in WWII in Europe, but he never spoke about it, so I don't know anything other than he fought in France. When he died, I came across the knife just like the one in this thread in a box of his things. It was in very nice shape, minus the frog. I wrapped it up and have kept it in my closet ever since. I came across it again recently, and was wondering what it was and what it was worth. It looks to be in similar condition to the one above. It has less wear on the leather, but a few minor blemishes on the blade. Any advice on where I can find info. on the value and history of such an item?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to take some photos tonight, and repost if I get a chance.

Thanks,

Tony

Hi Tony, welcome to the forum! I would love to see your hewer.

An average value would be in the region of $1000.

Cheers, Ade.

HDTony
    ?

Ade

Very interesting, I have only seen one and it was in bad condition. Would love to see more as they are under rated and do not come around very often.

Tony

In my home town Museum there is a mint one on display only thing is it's displayed smooth side up,have always wanted one since seeing it as a kid.Oh and Ade nice one mate.

?

Hi Ade hope you dont mind me showing mine. I picked mine up a while back you dont see alot of these around. Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsche Rotes Kreuz Man's Hewer   Deutsche Rotes Kreuz Man's Hewer  

?

Ade you have a great Red Cross EM . I noticed that your maker mark was on the front while the maker mark for mine was on the back of the blade. Does that make any difference ? Or did the maker have a little to much to drink the night before. Gary

Hi Gary, thanks! Nice hewer too.

I have no idea re the "Ges. Geschutz" marking: I don't know if this varies between the two makers of these?

Cheers, Ade.

Now that's an interesting thought.
    Maybe they are marked on different sides depending on the maker... or maybe we just like to analize stuff to death!!!
    For those who don't know the maker can be confirmed by checking the tangs under the grip plates.
    DON'T DO IT though. That crack sound is sooo heart breaking and besides you will likely bugger the screws. The other difference between the makers is that Lüneschloss used slip fittings to the lower scabbard. Klaas assembled them with screws.

Gentlemen, the phrase on that blade "Ges Geschutz" is the German equivalent of "patent applied for" or "design copyright applied for". You get the "point"!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast