Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Diplomat Dagger offered as the real deal, Opinions please

Article about: This Diplomat dagger is offered as the real deal. It's 1 of 8 different daggers, not all are good genuine daggers, and i have my doubts this one is, don't like the green patina on the scabba

?

Default Diplomat Dagger offered as the real deal, Opinions please

This Diplomat dagger is offered as the real deal.
    It's 1 of 8 different daggers, not all are good genuine daggers, and i have my doubts this one is, don't like the green patina on the scabbard and eagle, copper?
    The price aint right either, i compared it with other ones on the net, but there are different crossgard eagles that i've seen along the way.
    Please your opinions.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Diplomat Dagger offered as the real deal, Opinions please
    P
    Many

Default Re: Diplomat Dagger offered as the real deal, Opinions please

Hi, an original one of these would be worth $6000 plus....

This is a fake. Shape of the grip is wrong, note how it curves, it should be straighter. Grip plates should be real mother of pearl. Overall the quality is lacking.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thx Ade

you confirmed my thoughts

An expensive letter opener

Hi. I've been looking at this dagger for a while looking through my reference library for information. At this point I would not discount this dagger as a replica. There are a few more tests that could determine originality. The grip plates should be synthetic MOP, only the Diplo sword has real pearl grips. The scabbard should be steel and the hilt fittings should be brass or nickel silver. Looking through Wittmann's catalog pictures it is apparent that the shapes of the grips vary because the hilts are handmade.
    There were some replicas made with the 'beer bellied' eagle hilt where the width of the grip had been taken to an extreme because the ferrule was too large. From the pictures I would give it the benefit of a doubt until the proper materials have been veryfied. Here is a picture of one of the early GO/Diplo daggers with the extremely malformed grip.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Diplomat Dagger offered as the real deal, Opinions please  

I also want to add that green patina, most likely verdigris, is most likely to form on nickel silver and brass because 70 to 80% of the alloy consists of copper. It is a positive sign pointing to originality of the dagger.

[I] have checked in the reference books that I have and they state''In 1938 Hitler authorized senior members of the Diplomatic Corps to wear a very Elegant 39 cm long dagger with a stylized eagle's head pommel'' There were two makers of this dagger,A. Coppel and C. Eickhorn.I think the key word is elegant which the dagger you have posted is not and I cannot tell from the photos that they are marked.If I were you I would pass .Check out some of the recommended sites on this forum and you will not have to worry about buying a fake.Regards Operaman