Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Diplomat's Dagger for Review

Article about: by Larry C Then the dagger has been opened and parted...which according to Cogs analysis...the eagle IMO has been replaced..unless other Alcoso examples with this blade logo variant can be f

Not well acquainted with these, but if I may add my two cents:

Notice the bubbles on the crossguard above the eagle's
    wings - something I don't believe you would ever see
    on an original.........
    Regards,

Steve.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Diplomat's Dagger for Review
    P
    Many

Gentlemen, thank you so much for the scholarly discussion and insight.

I am clearly very uneducated when it comes to daggers... I'm doing my best to glean as much info as possible.

To be honest, dress items are outside my area of interest. I much prefer the items that enlisted men used and carried during battle.

I'll be sure to pass this discussion along to my friend, Mike. I don't think he is going to be pleased...

?

I wonder how many of these daggers are out there in old collections with the owners totally unaware

Although the pictures are still not good enough to be sure, but I believe from what I'm seeing that this dagger is original. The main objections seems to center around the grip and the fit of the grip plates. My take is that this dagger has been taken apart frequently in the past. One of the chronic problems with GO/Diplo daggers is the frequent verification of the numbers match of the hilt components. Upon reassembly of the hilt the tang nut is oftentimes overtorqued causing the eagle head to stoop forward. Over time this will also result in a shift of the grip plates and a buckling of the side plate.
    Some collectors live by the 'don't touch don't clean rule'. In that case the normal patina (oxidation) progresses consuming the silver plating and ultimately attacking the base metal similar to pitting by rust on steel.
    I would not be concerned by the positioning of the makers mark on the blade. I have frequently seen this version on Alcoso Diplo/GO dagger blades. Nothing wrong with the hanger clip - it is the regular size.

The plot thickens!! Thank you for contributing, Cog!

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    The plot thickens!! Thank you for contributing, Cog!
    Doesn't it just.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I have one that had ivory grips put on, looks nice from a distance

Then the dagger has been opened and parted...which according to Cogs analysis...the eagle IMO has been replaced..unless other Alcoso examples with this blade logo variant can be found with Horrid eagles feet.
    Is there any other photos.and or GO/ Diplo knowldege available that would support the authenticity of GIZMO8Z Diplomat dagger?
    Thanx for chiming in Cogwheel..this opens the door for a greater discussion
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by cogwheel View Post
    Although the pictures are still not good enough to be sure, but I believe from what I'm seeing that this dagger is original. The main objections seems to center around the grip and the fit of the grip plates. My take is that this dagger has been taken apart frequently in the past. One of the chronic problems with GO/Diplo daggers is the frequent verification of the numbers match of the hilt components. Upon reassembly of the hilt the tang nut is oftentimes overtorqued causing the eagle head to stoop forward. Over time this will also result in a shift of the grip plates and a buckling of the side plate.
    Some collectors live by the 'don't touch don't clean rule'. In that case the normal patina (oxidation) progresses consuming the silver plating and ultimately attacking the base metal similar to pitting by rust on steel.
    I would not be concerned by the positioning of the makers mark on the blade. I have frequently seen this version on Alcoso Diplo/GO dagger blades. Nothing wrong with the hanger clip - it is the regular size.
    Oddly enough, I haven't ever seen a Diplo with the makers marking stamped in this manner, but maybe I just haven't been in the right place at the right time, though. What do you make of the eagle's claws? I've compared the eagle on this one to a good number of references and examples of other Alcoso's and I can't find any such sloppy looking eagle on any of them.

I've included a photo below to illustrate what I meant about the hanger clip being larger. The small photo(grey background) is of a genuine hanger clip on an Alcoso Diplo. As you can see, the base of the clip slopes up like the Eiffel Tower, whereas the clip on the original posted hanger(red background) actually swells outward from the base rather than in. Sorry about the tiny photos, but, hopefully, you should be able to see what I was referring to!
    Diplomat's Dagger for ReviewDiplomat's Dagger for Review
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Comparison of the dagger in question to a known original GO dagger. Caution should be used in evaluating the crossguard, the Diplomatic dagger may show some differences.
    Wolfgang
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Diplomat's Dagger for Review  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast