MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Found NPEA dagger under old house... What to do with it/is it real

Article about: Hey guys, after reading around the forum I decided I'd join to share something I found and hopefully gain some information about it. I was exploring a burned down hoarder's house who was fri

?

Default Found NPEA dagger under old house... What to do with it/is it real

Hey guys, after reading around the forum I decided I'd join to share something I found and hopefully gain some information about it. I was exploring a burned down hoarder's house who was friends with a work mate when I found 2 German daggers. One being a standard SA dagger, and the one in question a NPEA dagger.

I can't find much information on the dagger other than it was given to students of the NPEA, and that this particular dagger originates from berlin (SP marking?) The sheath is in poor condition, however the blade remains in fair condition with no deep rust pits. I was after any information regarding the "50" which follows the SP marking on the front guard, and the "ostern, 1936" marking on the back guard. Presuming the dagger is authentic, does it have any value in it's current state or is it okay if I make it a bit prettier for display?

Kind Regards

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Found NPEA dagger under old house... What to do with it/is it real
    P
    Many

Looks like you have found an original and early NPEA student's graduation marked dagger from NPEA Spandau. The trademark on the blade is that of Karl Burgsmuller who was a distributor. Regarding the crossguard markings; SP 50 is the issue/accountability number from the Spandau school, NPEA Ostern 1936 signifies he graduated at end of the easter/spring term. The tang mark checks out as seen on most early blades from Burgsmuller. The cross guards look to be the correct outline, could you post clear pictures of the internal of the crossguards so any markings can also be checked.

?

The tang has the proper double Arrow, does the crossguards have an inside marking like E.W.?
    A bit strange that the grip would be burned and the alu guards didnt melt down either.
    Please show the reverse of the scabbard with its lug.
    Look underneath the lug on the scabbard, is it marked?

So far i agree with Gastvrijheid, it seems good.

Ger

?

Thanks for the replys! I dont believe the cross guards are aluminium, as they are much heavier than I would expect. The other dagger had aluminium cross guards which unfortunately did get ruined in the fire. I can see the cross guards are marked on the inside, I will get pictures soon.

?

here is a picture of the scabbard. due to rust, i cannot see if anything is marked on the underside of the lug.Found NPEA dagger under old house... What to do with it/is it real

?

Sorry for many replys, Im not sure if it's possible to edit posts... I took the best picture I could of the cross guard markings and its still hard to see, so i outlined the mark in red, both are identical.Found NPEA dagger under old house... What to do with it/is it real

?

These horseshoe marked guards are indeed the heavy nickel silver ones, and are correct for the early Burgsmüller daggers.
    S in horseshoe guards were also used by E.Pack on their SS daggers.
    To compare the guards here a 1937 one, good to see the S.P stamped letters match.

Regards
    Ger

You lucky sod, its a keeper for sure.

?

Thanks for the great info, it's really appreciated. My friend thinks she may have some documentation of the owner stored somewhere... but she is a minor hoarder so I doubt i'll see them any time soon.

Very nice artifact, and just me personally I would keep the dagger in it's relic condition. I am a museum professional and in some cases we tend to not clean items up for the sake of exhibits. We supplement relic artifacts with photos of cleaner examples..

The story about finding this item and the other under an old house also adds to the artifact in my opinion, but as we all know unless we have solid provenance it is just a story that comes with an item, However in your case it appears you have first hand knowledge and experience on how this was obtained.. Well done..

Smitty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast