Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

German Bayonet Help!

Article about: Hey guys, So I have had this bayonet, and I don't really know what it is. I was told German Bayonet but I cant find any lookalikes on the net. It has the muzzle ring cut off, characteristic

Default German Bayonet Help!

Hey guys,

So I have had this bayonet, and I don't really know what it is. I was told "German Bayonet" but I cant find any lookalikes on the net. It has the muzzle ring cut off, characteristic of the czech bayonets, but has an all metal handle and a knob type thing on the scabbard. Could anyone help me? Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Bayonet Help!   German Bayonet Help!  

German Bayonet Help!   German Bayonet Help!  

German Bayonet Help!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Bayonet Help!
    P
    Many

Default Re: German Bayonet Help!

ww1 german bayonet also call (ersatz combat bayonet)

Chris

Thanks for the quick reply! Wow...world war 1, I never woulda thought. Was 35 bucks canadian a good buy? Theres another in better condition for 50, muzzle ring still attached. Worth it or not?
    The number on the knife are 51 98 and 106

Look at the website collector guild they have few for sale,it will give you a good idea what they are going for.

chris

It is indeed a German ersatz bayonet - probably made 1916 or 1917. The muzzle ring has been removed and the "knob type thing" is a replacement.

Many of these were acquired and modified by the Turks after the end of WW1.

Price = good especially 50 C dollars for the complete one you mention.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Richie

Wow, thanks guys! Today, i checked out the $50 one, it had original green paint (peeling, of course) and had not a muzzle "ring" but more a flat, two pronged thing in place of the ring. I dont know what it was. I opened it, and it was COVERED, i mean covered, in oil and grease... not the best looking knife. I think ill purchase the P1907 wild tiger bayo instead.

P.S. is $45 for an Austrian m 1895 with frog and scabbard a good buy?

Thanks alot guys, I love this forum

The ersatz bayonets did not have a complete muzzle ring so the one you describe could well be OK.

$45 for an 1895 +frog - good price I think.

Richie

Hello-the 2 prongs allow the bayo to fit onto a variety of old or captured rifles used by the Germans in WW1-being covered in grease is a good thing as it preserves the blade and usually means that its spent its life not being used and abused in service-clean it off and you may be pleasantly surprised. The Ersatz (=substitute in English) bayos are a wide and varied collecting field in themselves-many differents makers and types made under wartime pressure.

Thanks guys, Ill consider buying it!