Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

German boot knife with SS grip insert - good or bad?

Article about: I thank you all for your help and advice and I'm glad I found this forum, because I am sure that I will again need help in the future. Thank you again to all

?

Default re: German boot knife with SS grip insert - good or bad?

I thank you all for your help and advice and I'm glad I found this forum, because I am sure that I will again need help in the future.
    Thank you again to all

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

As said already, a decent Puma fighting knife destroyed by someone to try to make more money.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I agree also with the above statements. The maker "Puma" on the ricasso has some credibility as a German producer,,but not an SS item. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi !

Johnson shows an "Infanteriemesser 42" and a dress bayonet with an SS-Pastille, inlaid in the grip plate, in his book "Collecting the edged weapons of the Third Reich, Volume I".

A collectors mate owns an "Kampfmesser der Wehrmacht-Luftwaffe" with inlaid SS-Pastille.

Such "additions" are, in my opinion, always a "question of faith" ! ...

The "Puma Kampfmesser" looks good so far, but I dont like the crossguard ...

Do you have better images of the makers mark ?

Best regards,

R.

P.S.:
    This "PUMA" is showing wooden grip plates not, the common, bakelite plates.
    There´re such "PUMA" knives indeed and they´re not that often seen.
    But, be alert !
    The "PUMA" is one of the most faked German fighting knives of WWII ! ! !

?

Default Re: German boot knife with SS grip insert - good or bad?

Thanks for your help, I have no other pictures, I got an offer to buy the knife, I refused to buy a security that is not original

Thx Reibert for pointing this out ;-)

As no one really knows, it's sad to see everything that doesn't conform to known history labeled as "bad", or a "fake". How does anyone really know if some SS didn't do this to a fighting knife? No one "really" knows. How presumptuous to just declare that it is a fake...

And then to say that no other knife than an SS dagger (obviously not a battlefield weapon) should have SS insignia? Are we to assume from someone assuming this is to be fact that the SS didn't cary close combat knives? This I would totally reject out of hand, and why not put an insignia in the handle?

First off, the actual runic insignia on the one shown is fake.

The odds of this practise happening during wartime is very, very slim. The man would have had to have access to parts from an SS dagger to do this. You could not buy these "off the shelf" at a shop. The only other SS runic insignia is the larger SS-ZA pin, which was issue serial numbered and could only be worn by law by an SS mann.

Himmler was very fussy about the use of the runes. Knife makers simply could not add these at a whim in order to make money. That would have been a very dangerous act.

Back in the 1960's and 1970's people added these runic insignia onto fighting knives just to make money, like they do today. The waters got muddied when items such as these found there way into older books.

I would never buy one, my collecting standards are high, but each to this own.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I stand absolutely by my original assessment-presumptuous or not.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by kilomikesierra1960 View Post
    ..................... As no one really knows, it's sad to see everything that doesn't conform to known history labeled as "bad", or a "fake". How does anyone really know if some SS didn't do this to a fighting knife? No one "really" knows. How presumptuous to just declare that it is a fake...

And then to say that no other knife than an SS dagger (obviously not a battlefield weapon) should have SS insignia? Are we to assume from someone assuming this is to be fact that the SS didn't cary close combat knives? This I would totally reject out of hand, and why not put an insignia in the handle?
    The collecting landscape is littered with thousands upon thousands of fake “SS” items. And the SS did carry fighting knives, with one well known picture taken during the “Battle of the Bulge” in 1944. But the SS Sigrunen itself was a protected by law NSDAP symbol. And the knives were from Werhrmacht sources, which the SS drew from pursuant to an early war agreement between it and the German Army. With this knife having a lot more value for the collectors who are buying the regulation 98K bayonets that now have the added on suitably heroic “SS” etchings - but not for a serious collector (IMO). Fred

Thx for a great explanation, and yes the amount of fake SS items is off the charts. I can still see some item like this being real, but of course to be on the safe side, I probably wouldn't buy it...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast