Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

German edged weapon on the battlefield

Article about: Great forum all... As a new enthusiast I was looking at a HJ knife but with a little reading it seems that although a meaningful collectible it's not something likely to be carried by a sold

Default German edged weapon on the battlefield

Great forum all...

As a new enthusiast I was looking at a HJ knife but with a little reading it seems that although a meaningful collectible it's not something likely to be carried by a soldier in the field. Or is it?
    What was used commonly by soldiers? What did they reach for if they needed an edged weapon? I'm thinking bayonet. Combination digging tool, sword or weapon. Or I've seen some sites selling "boot knives"...
    If I wanted an edged weapon likely to have been used on a battlefield what would i buy?

thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German edged weapon on the battlefield
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: German edged weapon on the battlefield

Hi welcome to the forum, hj knifes were carried in the field by some the SS soldiers as they were in the hitler youth as boys & loved there knifes, most likely used were boot knifes/trench knifes alongside there K98 bayonet, hope this helps

thank you!

It's a great forum, I've spent 10-15 hrs. browsing here just since the weekend.
    I've been a WW2 enthusiast for 35 years but have only picked up a few things before.

In 1999 I picked up a FN 1922 pistol with Waffenampt markings. And I picked up a period P-38. I kept them until I got married the first time and they had to go (long story)

But I'd like to start picking up some pieces. I'd like a couple edged weapons, an interesting helmet or two, stuff like that.

It appears that there are a LOT of bad dealers out there... how do you find a good one? Lakeside Trader appears to be OK, I think they're a sponsor here?

On the battlefield, in period photographs that I have seen. You see mostly bayonets, with the occasional Kampfmesser (trench knife). With one very well known photograph of an SS soldier that comes to mind, with his trench knife attached to the front of his overcoat. FP

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    ... With one very well known photograph of an SS soldier that comes to mind, with his trench knife attached to the front of his overcoat. FP
    Yes, a man of the "Kampfgruppe Hansen".

As I remember, this man was wearing a German WWI-dagger ?

Not forgeting, also the spade !
    IMO this tool was the most "powerful" close combat-weapon !

?

I am looking to purchase an HJ Dagger. I am not sure what kind would be the best bang for my buck? I have read a far amount about them on the net and there seems to be alot of different varieties out there. ie RZM, different manufacturers and years they were made. Can anyone help me on making my 1st WWII purchase?? I don't want to spend a fortune but something that's good quality!

?

I am looking to purchase an HJ Dagger. I am not sure what kind would be the best bang for my buck? I have read a far amount about them on the net and there seems to be alot of different varieties out there. ie RZM, different manufacturers and years they were made. Can anyone help me on making my 1st WWII purchase?? And If someone knows a reliable seller on the net that would b great as well!! I don't want to spend a fortune but something that's good quality would be nice!

what is your price range,,,i have some knives that i think you would be interested in,,,email me at [email protected]

?

I have sent u an e-mail and look forward to chatting.