Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

german fighting knife

Article about: just traded a small derringer pistol for this german fighting knife. Now of course i had to view some examples here on the forum. what ive learned here is the pins that hold the wooden handl

Default german fighting knife

just traded a small derringer pistol for this german fighting knife. Now of course i had to view some examples here on the forum. what ive learned here is the pins that hold the wooden handle on should always be steel, NOT brass!. and the grips on a fake are-- rosewood. an original should NOT have rosewood!
    the tang stamp should read -- GOTTLIEB HAMMESFAHR SOLINGEN.FOCHE

A fake will be --GOTTLIEB HAMMESFAHR SOLINGEN.FOCHF, also the crown over C proof mark on a fake WILL be turned THE WRONG WAY
    from what ive learned it is a ww1 imperial era knife, i hear that alot of them had been left over and used in the 2nd great war. the 67 year old guy said his pops was a mechanic in the air force, he said his dad only served in the pacific theater.finishing in 46/47 and returning home . there were 4 other ones that were up for grabs but i could only strike a deal for this one. any other info would be awesome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture german fighting knife   german fighting knife  

german fighting knife   german fighting knife  

german fighting knife  
    Last edited by chuck303; 08-15-2012 at 09:54 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement german fighting knife
    P
    Many

Default Re: german fighting knife

Hi Chuck it looks to be well built knife through out ,, my only concern is the English word " Germany " on the ricasso. Unless the blades of theses knives were contracted or out sourced to another country to make them,, I would be led to think that this was a post war blade only,, or just after the end of the war. I have seen many HJ knives with Germany stamped on the ricasso,, and are still being made today in Japan and China. I take it that these photos belong to the seller as they were taken in 2008. Im sure others who collect this type can shed some light. best regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

whoa!!!!!!! did not even think of it. i have seen other youth knives and such marked that way. i hope to learn more about what you have mentioned, the word germany on the ricasso.... i am sure you are right. i would now wonder when it was made and such. would this mean it was imported or?

I always understood / thought that a 'Germany' stamp indicated pre-war and 'WGermany' was post?
    Dan

could it be post war or pre? export, ? its spot on down to the walnut grips with the 9 notches.....
    its very well made heavy, i saw one on waf.

?

Quite e few period items was stamped "Germany" or "Made in Germany". There is also the possibility that it was stamped Germany post war for US import. I think Big Ned or Bob Coleman explained this once. All items imported had to be US stamped.

Regards, Lars

Don´t worry about the "Germany".

This knife went to the States as "war booty".

BTW, a pretty nice "Hammesfahr", thx. for showing !

?

That was what i thought Reibert.

Regards, Lars

Some pre war German civic helmets have chinstrap buckles with 'US patent' markings.

ok, thank you reibert. i had seen your postings on here and i knew that there mite be a sot that i'd get a deffinate answer

not bad for a 75 dollar antique derringer lol

- - Updated - -

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Chuck it looks to be well built knife through out ,, my only concern is the English word " Germany " on the ricasso. Unless the blades of theses knives were contracted or out sourced to another country to make them,, I would be led to think that this was a post war blade only,, or just after the end of the war. I have seen many HJ knives with Germany stamped on the ricasso,, and are still being made today in Japan and China. I take it that these photos belong to the seller as they were taken in 2008. Im sure others who collect this type can shed some light. best regards Larry
    SORRY ABOUT THE 2008 LOL LETS ALL TAKE A TRIP BACK HAHA. SORRY GUYS THOSE ARE MY PICTURES, MY KODAK EZ SHARE WILL NOT LET ME CHANGE THE DATE. SO YOU CAN TELL MY PICTURES ALWAYS BY THE DATE AND I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN DAYLIGHT PHOTOS.. WAS JUST EXITED AS I HAD JUST DONE THE DEAL LASTNIGHT.