Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German trench knife

Article about: Now that you have glued it try to obtain a furniture stick there used for scuff marks etc fill all the cracks with this , this will stop the other wood cracking. The cracks are caused by the

?

Default German trench knife

Just picked this up at a local shop today .I tried to wood glue the crack in the handle but it just wont stay shut. I guess it will stay the way it is. Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German trench knife   German trench knife  

German trench knife   German trench knife  

German trench knife  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German trench knife
    P
    Many

Default Re: German trench knife

have you tried using a clamp?

Hi Gary,
    That is a nice knife you have found i wish i could find one in that condition. did you clean out the split in the wood before you tried to close it ?, as with age it would fill with crap, i would suggest
    if you want to close it clean the gap, dont use a clamp as it will bruise the wood, put your glue in the gap, get two small pieces of
    soft wood, one either side of the knife. Use some string or twine
    once to glue is in and the pieces are in place bind the string around the hilt very tightly, leave to dry. This should hold it in place,.
    Or the knife can be left as is, Hope this helps.
    dave.

?

MM had it in a vise for 2 hours. Gary

?

Dave I think I will try that over night if that dont work I will leave it be. Gary

Hi Gary, look like a nice example of a WW1 era knife by GOTTLIEB HAMMESFAHR SOLINGEN. FOCHE.

I could happly live with it as is.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I agree Ade but I want to make sure the split does not get bigger. This knife has such a great feel in your hand. Do you know if the black on the blade is period or should I clean it off. Gary

Gary if you really want to glue it back together, glue it with wood glue and cushion it in the vice jaws using two pieces of wood and leave it over night to set and as Dave said clean the crap from in the crack, and i must also agree with Ade the split wouldnt really bother me either cheers mate
    Ronnie

?

Thanks Ronnie I think I will take your and Dave's advice and clean the split and let it sit overnight. If that does not work it will stay the way it is. Gary

?

I glued and let it sit in a vise all night. I like how it turned out.Thanks Dave and Ronnie for the advice ..Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German trench knife   German trench knife  

German trench knife  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast