Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife......

Article about: Hello, I was hoping if someone could let me know if this is an original Gottlieb Hammesfahr*Trench knife, looked ok to me but this is the first I've ever had in my hand. The last picture sho

Default Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife......

Hello,
    I was hoping if someone could let me know if this is an original Gottlieb Hammesfahr*Trench knife, looked ok to me but this is the first I've ever had in my hand. The last picture shows the point, severely bent. Looks like someone pried something open with it. Thanks Gents!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife......   Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife......  

Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife......   Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife......  

Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife......   Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife......  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife......
    P
    Many

Hi!
    These types wasn't made under the third reich era.
    ...and, so maybe it is not genuine knife. IMO

Wait until that expert who lend a hand

Check out page 3 of Lance's ongoing Trench knife thread. It might help
    answer your question----

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

If you put your title into the Advanced search at the top right of this page, You will find your answer.

Sorry to say its a reproduction. Note the direction of the grooves on the handle.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I see Greg types faster than I!!!
    Last edited by AZPhil; 07-07-2018 at 12:51 AM.

No argument from me - years ago at some shows you might see a couple of buckets of these knives. If it was a fresh batch you might even smell them well in advance of actually seeing them. Both the wood and the leather were very pungent. Some thought that they used Yak urine to process the leather. Best Regards, Fred

It's another Indian made fake. They turn up on this forum every few months. Unfortunately they are sold new in various knife shops and dishonest types leave them outside in the rain for a while and then try to pass them off as WW1 trench knives. The sell new for about $60, in that condition worth about $10.
    Another give away (after the grip grooves angled the wrong way) is wood grips are rosewood or some other tropical hardwood, not used on German made knives. Also the imperial inspection mark appears cast into the blade, not stamped.

See also thread on Bayonets and Trench knives of the World;

"WW1 Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife?"

Ty Gents!

For education and comparison purposes, here's a real one. The differences are obvious.

Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife......