Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with bayo ID

Article about: Im able to find references to a 56 In Reg, but no reserve unit under that designation. Does anyone know of it perchance?

?

Default Help with bayo ID

Hello all Im new here and just recently started collecting. I bought these two bayonets today and was hoping to get some help positivly ID'ing the top bayo in this pic. It was listed as a WW2 with nothing else, and I think I have it ID'ed as a S71/84, possibly being from an east african unit, but maybe WAYYYYY off the mark.

These are all the pics I have till the item actually reaches me. Any help would be amazingly greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Tarrok; 09-24-2011 at 01:57 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with bayo ID
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Help with bayo ID

Realized links didnt work. Reposted to amend this problem.

The initial issues of the Mauser Jägerbüchse 71 rifle and the G88 Commission rifle to the early German colonial troops usually came with the short "Seitengewehr 1871/84" bayonet (often abbreviated to S71/84). This number is not a unit number only a MFG number. Welcome to the forum and hope this helps maybe someone else has more input on it.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Tarrok

The bayonet without muzzle ring is a first model S84-98 (alt Arte - old pattern) which was converted from the S71-84 - there is some information to suggest that these conversions were done in 1908-09

The key feature in spotting the conversion is the pommel shape and the lack of muzzle ring.

The photo shows the difference - the S71-84 is at the bottom.

The unit marking 56. R. 7. 112. represents the 56th Reserve Infantry Regiment, 7th Company, Weapon 112.

The other bayonet is some sort of Mauser bayonet - probably not German made - Belgium or Yugoslavia perhaps.

Regards

Richie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with bayo ID  

?

Hey man thank you so much for the help! That is awesome that you know that!

Quote by Tarrok View Post
    Hey man thank you so much for the help! That is awesome that you know that!
    My pleasure

The top bayo is a Czech VZ24 short type-cutting edge is 'up'-as Richie B says, for export as the rifle was widely sold in the 20s-30s and after the war (this appears to be prewar).

?

Ok, so im partially restoring the S84 and the wood is rotten as heck. Anyone have an answer on a possible replacement? Should I fashion on myself?

?

The top bayonet is a czechoslovak Vz.24 when 30cm long blade, the scabbard is not correct, probably a belgian export, the czechoslovak has some marking? It could be export too.

?

no scabbard markings. The blade has a simple CHZ with what looks like a lower case v over the C, and a capitol H beneath the CHZ.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast