Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Help with knots

Article about: I recently acquired this matching pair of knots and have been trying to figure out what they are. I have a few daggers but I am not really a dagger guy and I do not recognize these. I posted

M38
    ?

Default Help with knots

I recently acquired this matching pair of knots and have been trying to figure out what they are. I have a few daggers but I am not really a dagger guy and I do not recognize these. I posted them on another forum and received this reply from a knowledgeable and helpful person:

Dragoon sword knot.

Mecklenburg officers carried a Prussian style knot but in all gold cord with a red / yellow / light blue core on base of acorn.

Baden and Oldenburg officers carried a similar knot but with a red silk stripe in center of strap and on red core of base of acorn.

As far as your knots that you posted are concerned ..they appear very brand new looking and would be cautious of its authenticity.

It would be wise to be able to identify a period example to compare to..as these knots are currently produced today at outlets that cater to uniforms and swords.

Regards Larry

I am happy to accept this ID - of course other thoughts are also welcome - but just as important, I would really like to know if these are original period production or later made copies. I should mention that they look pretty pristine in the photos but in hand they do show some age and wear. Any and all thoughts are welcome. I have been told that a collector named Billy G may lurk here and be able to assist. Thanks in advance for ANYONE who can help.

Cheers,
    Terry

Help with knotsHelp with knotsHelp with knotsHelp with knots

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with knots
    P
    Many

?

IMO these are postwar fabriks and in fact brandnew.
    Similarity with the "Bundesreplublik Österreich (Austria)" Portepees and German Kingdoms.
    I have tried to find the exact same one, but failed to find an Original one that fits yours.

Regards
    Ger

?

To consider: a repro-new Portepee can also be a bit off an Original, it can be a fantasy item, combining the form of the forestry types and the cord of the army-luft portepees.
    Its a bit odd seeing this stem with a small cord instead of the wide one normally used in combination with this type of "acorn"

Ger

M38
    ?

Thanks for the thoughts. Any and all information is appreciated.

Cheers,
    Terry

Terry,

I have to agree with Ger, these knots look like they were made last week. As far as they type that they purport to be, I haven't an idea. Never seen anything like this style.

M38
    ?

Thank you Mr G, I appreciate your opinion. I accept that they are most likely current copies of something. Do they have any value at all to anyone or should I just throw them in the junk drawer?

Cheers,
    Terry