Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Identification help on a M1898 bayonet

Article about: Got this bayonet from my grandfather. Some quick searching on google tells me its a M1898/05 bayonet. On the blade, it has a crown with ERFURT, the blade spine has a crown above a W with 15

svchace
    ?

Default Identification help on a M1898 bayonet

Got this bayonet from my grandfather. Some quick searching on google tells me its a M1898/05 bayonet. On the blade, it has a crown with ERFURT, the blade spine has a crown above a W with 15 below it and maybe another crown below that. The hand guard has N with a crown on the top cutting side of the guard while on the side of the guard there is 1.P.1 211 The wood handle has 4 slots on either side and at the end of the bayonet there is a metal loop. Metal sheath with no markings on it.

Can anyone decipher this all for me?

Identification help on a M1898 bayonet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identification help on a M1898 bayonet  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Identification help on a M1898 bayonet

That is indeed an Seitengewehr 98-05 bayonet made at the Erfurt Arsenal in 1915. The "W" is for the Kaiser - Wilhelm. It is an old pattern (German = alter Art) - you can tell by the ears of the partial muzzle ring. 1915 was the last year of production of the old pattern.

The marking "1. P. 1. 211" is for the 1st Pioneer Battalion. 1st Company. Weapon number 211.

The Crown/N is an inspection stamp.

The grips are not the original ones - should have nine grooves, the scabbard looks as if it has been plated (?) and has a replaced throat piece and the loop at the end of the pommel is non standard.

Regards

Richie