Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Identify firemeas bayonet please

Article about: Hello, A friend bought this knife recently, and I promised him I would try to identify it. From the limited research I have done, it appears to be a firemans dress bayonet. Excuse the poor p

ryan02
    ?

Default Identify firemans bayonet please

Hello, A friend bought this knife recently, and I promised him I would try to identify it. From the limited research I have done, it appears to be a firemans dress bayonet. Excuse the poor pics please, I did these at work. What say you? Is it a reproduction, or WWII era?
    thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identify firemeas bayonet please   Identify firemeas bayonet please  

Identify firemeas bayonet please   Identify firemeas bayonet please  

Identify firemeas bayonet please  
    Last edited by ryan02; 08-16-2011 at 06:24 PM.

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: Identify firemeas bayonet please

Looks like a Firemans Dress Sidearm. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

?

Hi Ryan,
    the knife looks fine. as said a firemans dress dagger. i have never seen that L+E logo but i like it. distributers mark ? a nice find complete with frog.
    andrew

A nice original. The L+E logo is also a new one on me too, but again I like it.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: Wecome to the forum!

ryan02
    ?

Thanks for the replies, I will pass that info along. My main interest is the fairbairn sykes knife, always looking for another....

Linnenbrugger & Ellermann, Bielefeld is a very desired distributor of fire bayonets among collectors. Nearly all distributors' marks were just the name & maybe a location but L&E had a logo similar to a manufacturer. Their logo is also unique in that it is the only one I can think of that incorporated a swaz. L&E was a distributor of Feuerwehr related ephemera that apparently did not sell military bayonets which makes the mark somewhat scarce. Following their line of work, they also incorporated a fire helmet into their logo, quite nice to look at if you're a maker mark collector.

This bayonet is nice for several other reasons, it's dual marked by Eickhorn & it has the original frog that's also marked by the distributor. Distributor marked frogs are quite scarce. If your friend is looking to sell it, I would be happy to buy it.