Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Imperial or Possibly Later Trench Knife

Article about: Hi, Further to my last post on a KS98 style knife, this knife is my personal favourite from the collection. It is based on a cut down SG 98/05 but also includes extencive reworking by someon

Default Imperial or Possibly Later Trench Knife

Hi, Further to my last post on a KS98 style knife, this knife is my personal favourite from the collection. It is based on a cut down SG 98/05 but also includes extencive reworking by someone with a lot of skill. The blade has been beautifullyground to give a straight cutting edge and the point of the blade is aethetically attractive with clean facets. The ricasso bears the Muser manufacturer's title and the spine has the Imperial ordnance stamp with the date 1917.

The grip slabs have been reworked by shortening, moving the lower machine screw and have been cross hatched. The quilion has had the hook removed and has been rounded in similar fashion to the K98 bayonet and the flash guard has also been removed. The tang has been shortened leaving a visible joint in the shape of a squared step. There is still an inspection stamp on the pommel and cut into the pommel top are the entwined initials "SW".

The scabbard is of very unusual style and design and is not, in my opinion, a reworked KS98/05. The throat is raw cut with a reinforcing and suspension band securred by 2 machine screws. This band also supports a suspension ring suggesting that the weapon was not worn in a conventional frog but probably suspended from a strap with a hook at one end and a belt fitment at the other??

I hope that you will agree that it is a nice item and would welcome any comments either positive or negative.

Cheers Michael R

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial or Possibly Later Trench Knife
    P
    Many

great knife, Imperial stamps could be WW1 or2.imo

I was wondering where my knife went.........
    Regards,

Steve.

That is one well made fine knife.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Indeed a nice-looking piece, and excellent workmanship!! Imperial-era blade 1917-dated....A beauty for sure, congratulations and thanks for showing!
    cheers, Glenn

A very nice example Michael!
    I really like the hand enhancement.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

That is a stunner Michael. Love it.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Michael...the patina matches throughout and it appears alot of heart and soul went into reworking this bayo down to fighting knife. I can only assume..the original owner took his service very seriously..to go to such an extent..including some personalization touches. He may of been one of those career guys..or a behind the lines assassin? Adventurous thoughts only..but a well executed conversion to say the least. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Michael that is a more then lovely knife!!
    i wouldn't mind owning it.....in october i have my birthday....put it on hold for me please

Ger

Hi One and all, Thank you for your very welcome comments. I picked the item up from a gun dealer in Stoke on Trent and had to buy a collection of over 20 bayonets just to get this blade.
    Thank you to you all for your comments
    Regards Michael R

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast