Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting, perhaps uncommon Hitler Propaganda Folding Knife

Article about: I have this Hitler propaganda knife I recently purchased from a local dealer he got it from a fellow whos father fought in Germany. A bit odd it that this knife is marked Patent . The knife

bitovt
    ?

Default Interesting, perhaps uncommon Hitler Propaganda Folding Knife

I have this Hitler propaganda knife I recently purchased from a local dealer he got it from a fellow whos father fought in Germany. A bit odd it that this knife is marked "Patent". The knife is in rough condition, with the corkscrew broken, the knife over sharpened as well as the leather tool's end broken and other wear and light pitting. You can clearly make out Hitler, the "patent" mark on one side as well as the air planes over the world, and more embossing. Any information would be appreciated.

Email for larger images.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images Interesting, perhaps uncommon Hitler Propaganda Folding Knife  Interesting, perhaps uncommon Hitler Propaganda Folding Knife  Interesting, perhaps uncommon Hitler Propaganda Folding Knife  Interesting, perhaps uncommon Hitler Propaganda Folding Knife  Interesting, perhaps uncommon Hitler Propaganda Folding Knife 

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: Interesting, perhaps uncommon Hitler Propaganda Folding Knife

Looks like the Italian, Japanese and German insignia on it. Also Hirohito, Mussolini and Hitler.

If real, it might be a sort of a tribute to the Axis powers.

Pymblewombat
    ?

Hello Scout,
    My wife has the same folding knife - she got it from her grandfather in Shizuoka, Japan. Could it possibly be Japanese as Hirohito and the Japanese flag are first?Interesting, perhaps uncommon Hitler Propaganda Folding KnifeInteresting, perhaps uncommon Hitler Propaganda Folding Knife

Welcome to the forum!

I would be surprised if a Japanese wartime item was marked 'Patent' in English, but who knows?

They don't look like particularly well made items, wartime Axis tourism item? I can only agree with Scouts assessment.

Pymblewombat
    ?

Thanks Christek,
    Yes - not well made - almost looks hand made.
    Another argument against it being Japanese is that anything metal went into the war effort.
    If only grandad were around to explain where he got it from.

Wife's grandad was a bit of a wheeler and dealer and there was a bit of trade of articles for food after the war in Japan.
    Today, in our historic relic research, my wife has been blown away by another item of grandad's - a script written to protect a house.
    She had known it was written by a top military person but just looked him up: Baron Sadao Araki The Tiger General of Manchuria!

Thanks again for your assessment. I am new to this field and it is intriquing.
    Regards,
    Peter

?

Quote by christek View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

I would be surprised if a Japanese wartime item was marked 'Patent' in English, but who knows?

They don't look like particularly well made items, wartime Axis tourism item? I can only agree with Scouts assessment.
    Why do you think that "Patent" is an English word?

D.R.P. means Deutsches Reichspatent
    Patents where registered at the " Patent amt"

That word is the same in multiple languages

I would be highly surprised if these knives are not post war made.

Cheers,
    Ger

Yes you are absolutely right, the word originates from Latin. Cheers

Interesting item as we have seen many fantasy related knives in the past. Hard to say without documentation how many and when these were produced..during the period or after as stated as a Keepsake.

Gerrit is correct on the word patent being almost Universal. This should make or an interesting thread. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill