Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

letter opener or salesman sample

Article about: I agree with gerrit. I have seen plenty of items pre WW1 and between the wars with either 'Germany' or 'Made in Germany'. If it was post WW2 would it not have been stamped W.Germany? Mark.

Default letter opener or salesman sample

Hi,
    i just recently picked up a couple miniature swords.
    I believe them to be letter openers o simple souvenirs
    but it has been suggested that they might be salesman
    samples. They are roughly 8 to 9 inches long and one
    marked Germany which (to me) reinforces the letter
    opener theory.

What are your opinions?

thanks,
    Greg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture letter opener or salesman sample   letter opener or salesman sample  

gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement letter opener or salesman sample
    P
    Many

Well Greg - I err to your judgement, but, knowing nothing about these, I have to say I've never seen a letter opener such as this with a scabbard.

Please feel free to correct this unholy doubter.

Cheers
    Tim

Hi Allegra..neat sword letter opener..but anything Stamped "Germany" is post war.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Guys,
    Thank you for the replies. I was pretty sure these were
    just letter openers but I wanted to confirm that.

BTW-- I posted this same question of on WAF a day
    and a half ago. It's been viewed over 130 times and
    received just one reply. Apparently if it's not a
    ground Rohm or a chained SS or you are not part of
    the club, it's not worth commenting on.

Thank you again for the quick replies.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Allegra..neat sword letter opener..but anything Stamped "Germany" is post war.
    Or pre-war

Quote by ajax3985 View Post
    Or pre-war
    lets find out the identity of this sample..and research the history of the producer who made it. Hopefully that should shine some light on some doubt on my part and member Ajax part.

Question: what is the lettering on the left of the "English" word Germany....and then we can begin the research journey. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    lets find out the identity of this sample..and research the history of the producer who made it. Hopefully that should shine some light on some doubt on my part and member Ajax part.

Question: what is the lettering on the left of the "English" word Germany....and then we can begin the research journey. Regards Larry
    I think the sword itself is postwar, it is a prewar sword by design but not the quality I would expect but the range in that regard is quite wide. I think I am looking at the rule more than the piece. It tends to be more stringent with edged weapons than other items and for good reason, but an export mark depending on what your looking at could be pre-war, post war, or even war time in some rare cases. The sword is kind of chintzy and gift shop type of material if it were pre war I would expect more of it even on that level.

Im seeing D.Peres..aka Daniel Peres.
    Established in 1792 by Peter Daniel Peres
    Last known address in Solingen Felder 41

Producer early SA daggers

No known data exists to this day of this firm producing swords. Still the fact remains...it is more likely as the font type used in the word "Germany" is most commonly used in all post war reproductions...or was produced by the actual firm just after the war..as the history still shows this company is still in operation today. I will lean more into a post war produced item..unless "Ajax"..can give an account of some documentation I may have missed..in supporting a pre war claim. Regards Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images letter opener or salesman sample 

?

Hi Greg,

These are far to detailed to be simple souvenirs imo, at least take a good look at the Imperial Marine sword scabbard and Lion head hilt, these are little pieces of art, real craftmanship is shown here.
    My Imperial Marine mini measured only 5 inch but has a working scabbard spring to secure the dagger into the scabbard.
    That some have the Germany stamp does not mean its post war.
    They are much earlier, before the first WW they also used the "Germany" mark for export purposes.
    This is a pre WW1 mini, i date this one between 1900 and 1914
    My guess is around 1910, they where also used as an officers graduation gift, they looked good on their desk

The imperial saber is a great mini, thx for showing.

Regards,
    Ger

Ger

Thankyou Gerrit!! This is what I strive for...is there any documented proof of where and who produced these exports with the firms name on the blade? Regards Larry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast