Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help! German Dress Police Bayonet an oddone to me

Article about: Sorry for the quality of the photos, having problems with my camera. This appears to be a Police Dress Bayonet, however there is no gutter to fit it to the rifle? Is this common? Why would t

?

Default Need help! German Dress Police Bayonet an oddone to me

Sorry for the quality of the photos, having problems with my camera.
    This appears to be a Police Dress Bayonet, however there is no gutter to fit it to the rifle? Is this common?
    Why would this be done like that? Does it have value?

This is a piece I may buy, the rest of the items are in another thread, I kinda need to know what the group might be worth as if I can make a deal on it, then the money goes to a good cause, but I want ot be fair.

Thank you in Advance

Dean O
    Canada

Need help!  German Dress Police Bayonet an oddone to meNeed help!  German Dress Police Bayonet an oddone to meNeed help!  German Dress Police Bayonet an oddone to meNeed help!  German Dress Police Bayonet an oddone to meNeed help!  German Dress Police Bayonet an oddone to meNeed help!  German Dress Police Bayonet an oddone to me

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help!  German Dress Police Bayonet an oddone to me
    P
    Many

?

This "bayonet" was intended to be used as a sidearm, it is a bayonet in name only, as it was never intended to be mounted to a rifle. Hard to call value with these pictures, but from what I see, I would value it in the $400-$500 range.

Jim

Moved to the Daggers and Swords of the Third Reich Forum/
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Thank You!!

Dean O
    Canada

Quote by Jim P View Post
    This "bayonet" was intended to be used as a sidearm, it is a bayonet in name only, as it was never intended to be mounted to a rifle. Hard to call value with these pictures, but from what I see, I would value it in the $400-$500 range.

Jim
    +1
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

The Police "bayonets" came in a couple of varieties. Yours is what they call "Unslotted". They also can be found with the push button locks and the bayonet mount slots. Personally, I like the unslotted like yours better for shear appearance sake. As you noticed, they are, at this stage, no longer actual Bayonets but are more in the category of a knife or side arm. The police bayonets went through a number of modifications and changes. Originally, they began by modifying the old Imperial and Weimar Clam Shell bayonets. The lengths were also altered as you can see by the appearance of a mounting hole still partially visible by the hilt on the lower edge of the grip panels. Eventually, the bayonet function was removed entirely and it became simply a side arm at that point, as this one is.
    As for value, technically, it should also have a portapee on it as well as a leather belt frog-both of which can be harder to find than the "bayonet" itself! . Are you looking to sell this one, if you pick it up with the rest of the items? I would be interested, if so-drop me a line.
    Last edited by Wagriff; 07-14-2014 at 12:22 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Agree with all here on above I might add that some references state that the brown leather scabbards were for rural police officers where the black were for municipal or city Police (TM Johnson and Wheeler Books) noticed a property or unit number on it I would bet also there is the typical Starburst police proof on the spine as is commonly found on these early stag grip police bayonets. timothy

The leather scabbard does look brown, denoting rural Polizei. I've never seen a double oval Eick rural model although I have no reason to think they don't exist.

Are there any letters on the reverse crossguard & reverse top scabbard fitting?

?

I just picked up another of these, too bad the Eagel is missing as well as there is another hole in the handle near the cross guard.

There are no other marking on this one except the ones shown, nothing on the scabbard.

Thanks again

Dean O