Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need opinions on possible Railway Dagger???...

Article about: Hi all, I received this dagger in a lot along with a nice Kriegsmarine Sword today, and am puzzled by the aluminum wrapped deep blue/black leather grip. The grip is not typical of Railway da

?

Default Need opinions on possible Railway Dagger???...

Hi all,

I received this dagger in a lot along with a nice Kriegsmarine Sword today, and am puzzled by the aluminum wrapped deep blue/black leather grip. The grip is not typical of Railway daggers (celluloid type is typical), but was it possibly an optional grip for these daggers?

Thoughts??

Need opinions on possible Railway Dagger???...Need opinions on possible Railway Dagger???...Need opinions on possible Railway Dagger???...Need opinions on possible Railway Dagger???...Need opinions on possible Railway Dagger???...Need opinions on possible Railway Dagger???...

Thanks!
    Dzyner

I collect German Daggers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need opinions on possible Railway Dagger???...
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Need opinions on possible Railway Dagger???...

The handle says it is a customs dagger but it has the wrong scabbard I think. Better wait for some of the guys that know daggers.

?

Im not 100% sure but i thought that customs daggers had a green leather grip with wire, a black scabbard with nickled fittings which gave it the appearance of looking pretty ornate, the one you show appears to be army type scabbard which i believe would fit the blade as its very near the same as the army blade in appearance, but dont quote me on that

?

I agree, the grip looks more like one found on a Customs dagger. I'm no expert on Customs daggers, but I'm fairly certain they're black, not green (not 100% sure though). I suppose this could be a Customs dagger with a replacement Heer scabbard. I'm more inclined to think perhaps it's an optional higher-end grip for a Railway dagger. Would really love to hear from others versed in Railway and Customs daggers.

Looking at the condition of the grip and wire compared to the rest
    of the dagger, it could be replaced. It doesn't look right.........
    Regards,

Steve.

These turn up from time to time. I believe they were issued from the factory like this but no documentation has ever been found to my knowledge saying why or what they are. Most collectors are suspicious of them and they have been snubbed in the past. I hate seeing guys switch out the grips to make them "textbook" army daggers. Perhaps someday we will know the whole story behind them.
    Thanks for sharing.

The aging and patina on the cross guard and scabbard are very, very similiar. Appears to me the two have been together for a long time. Doesn't really answer anything I guess. Interesting.

Jay

?

Hey guys. Thanks for the feedback.

Paul, thanks for the info. I'm going to see if I can get some info from the seller (the vet's son-in-law). Perhaps if his father-in-law is still with us he can shed some light on where he acquired it. It'll likely lead to a dead end but can't hurt.

I agree Jay, the metal type and patina is without a doubt consistent throughout this piece. Even the grip looks to have aged in step with the rest of the piece. Aside from removing the casmoline from the blade, this is exactly as I acquired it.