Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie--Need help identifying WWII army officer sword

Article about: Hi all. I'm new to this forum and a casual collector of US historical related items, WW2 German P38 pistols and miscellaneous military items of interest. I acquired this WW2....possibly earl

?

Default Newbie--Need help identifying WWII army officer sword

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and a casual collector of US historical related items, WW2 German P38 pistols and miscellaneous military items of interest. I acquired this WW2....possibly earlier German Army officer sword this past weekend. My research on the internet shows it possibly is a variation of "Army Sword (No scabbard) #27513 $750 shown on the Johnson catalog website.

Johnson Reference Books and Militaria

On my sword the langet also has the Wehrmacht national emblem on the obverse. But my sword's Nazi eagle emblem is totally inside a continuous raised oval scrolled edge compared to the #27513 shown on the Johnson website as being open at the top of the eagle design.

My question is my sword an early WW2 design or possibly earlier to the mid-30s issued before the start of WW2? Any helpful comments appreciated. Thanks.

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Newbie--Need help identifying  WWII army officer sword   Newbie--Need help identifying  WWII army officer sword  

Newbie--Need help identifying  WWII army officer sword  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Newbie--Need help identifying  WWII army officer sword
    P
    Many

Default Re: Newbie--Need help identifying WWII army officer sword

what is the makers mark.

?

Sorry. It is "WKC" with the knights head stamped logo.

John

There are a number of different makers of these swords, they all have differences.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

I understand that. I was hoping that there was a definitive characteristic of the Nazi eagle design to narrow its issue/use period such as pre-WWII, early WWII, etc.

John

Definately WW II.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

My guess right or wrong is early WWII. I'll try to contact someone at the Johnson website and see if it can pinned down any better. Thanks.

hi John this looks very much like an Alcoso army pattern saber by the look of the langet, i know you have said above it's WKC but can you just post a pic of the maker mark please? it has me baffled if it is WKC ?? there used to be a guy on here "Swordfish" he was the best guy on the swords but he dosent seem to log on here any more, (hope everything is ok for him) i will have a look in some books and see if i can find the model for you
    cheers for now, Ronnie

PS i am with you on it being early

?

Angry Re: Newbie--Need help identifying WWII army officer sword

Hi Ronnie...tnx for responding....I acquired this sword last week in an estate auction. It was a WW2 GI "bring back" of a German Army Officer sword. Unfortunately it did not have the scabbard. It DEFINITELY is a "WKC" sword. Please look at the attached pictures. The langet physically blocks a straight on view of the WKC hallmark stamp. If you look carefully you can see the left profile of a slight variation of the WKC Knight's head hallmark. In one picture taken from an extreme side angle you can barely see the letter "W" of "WKC" stamped just below the Knight's Head.

In doing "Google" research one website I accessed stated no swords were manufactured after 1941 and no daggers after 1942. I don't whether or not that is a correct statement. I did find a couple of examples of this type/style of sword that have similar but not exactly the same outer rim scroll design as on the langet of this sword. The top scroll portion above the eagle varied slightly. I noticed some of the original gold gilding has worn in some places as to be expected indicating to me it saw some use in its time.

Any help in better identification is appreciated.

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Newbie--Need help identifying  WWII army officer sword   Newbie--Need help identifying  WWII army officer sword  

Newbie--Need help identifying  WWII army officer sword  
    Attached Images Attached Images Newbie--Need help identifying  WWII army officer sword  Newbie--Need help identifying  WWII army officer sword  Newbie--Need help identifying  WWII army officer sword 

Thanks John, i cant find that model in any of my book's but here is the Alcoso model i was on about, i have posted your's below it for comparison, i think you may have yourself a rare model there, but worth waiting for other opinions in the meantime i will keep looking in reference books i have,
    sorry i couldn't be a better help,
    cheers Ronnie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Newbie--Need help identifying  WWII army officer sword  
    Attached Images Attached Images Newbie--Need help identifying  WWII army officer sword 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast