Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Periodic Edged Weapon Maintenance

Article about: Hello Gents,, just a reminder to all collectors of Edged Weapons,, to take a look at the blade and metal fittings in your collection. Take notice to see if there is any dirt , overlooked fin

Default Periodic Edged Weapon Maintenance

Hello Gents,, just a reminder to all collectors of Edged Weapons,, to take a look at the blade and metal fittings in your collection. Take notice to see if there is any dirt , overlooked finger prints, rust build up,, or anything powdery that may build up on nickel type fittings.
    I just found myself on one of my daggers,,( which the dagger is stored in the scabbard ) some rust stains where the runner sits on the blade. Fortunately this is only topical and can be removed with some Simi Chrome.
    I would advise to check this periodically and take a soft cloth and wipe down the blade or fittings,, regardless if it is clean. Museums do this also from time to time just to remove dust.
    Check your environment in which you live in, and the conditions that might cause anything to alter or adhere to your collectible.
    Those who store their collectibles in drawers, in socks and in zipper padded bags,,try to use gel packs or a small bag of uncooked rice in a zip loc bag in that area of storage.
    Those who have displays in curios and glass cabinets,, take extra care in monitoring the conditions in your cabinet. Again a small bag of Uncooked rice or a few gel pacs hidden from site will help in conservation.
    Shortly I will address the runners inside of my SA dagger,, as that rust is also sitting on the high part of the runner ( which rests on the blade ) and needs to be removed!! Thank you gents Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Periodic Edged Weapon Maintenance
    P
    Many

Default Re: Periodic Edged Weapon Maintenance

I also found a new rusty spot on one of my blades not so long ago. It is resting outside the scabbard, has been cleaned with semichrome and preserved with renwax. I wear gloves during the proces, so there will be no fingerprints underneath the renwax. Humidity is low.
    Just to state that it can happen when you least expect it....

Here are a couple of photos showing these spots on the blade. At first I thought these were rust spots,, but under the power of a jewelers eye loop,,it was not that at all. This black stuff adhered itself to the blade and is was very hard to remove. Little by little I was able to remove it,,but unfortunately what was left was microscopic pitting!! I will try later to set my camera at the highest image setting and better lighting to capture this pitting.
    As you see these marks on the blade is the depression it left on the blade. The little black lines also have trailed ,,,also under jewelers loop you can see the trail impressions in the blade.
    Did this come from within,, or from the outside? This dagger was recently checked about a few months ago and has a gel pac in the padded zipper bag. Also the dagger is stored in the scabbard during that time.
    Although now they appear as blemishes on the blade after cleaning,,, deep down under the loop,,there was cancer. Here are a couple of photos and sadly this is one of my Favorite makers...WKC. Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Periodic Edged Weapon Maintenance   Periodic Edged Weapon Maintenance  

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Wow Larry that is sad what a bummer!!

Ger

OUCH!! gutted for you there Larry made my stomach turn
    Ronnie

?

Larry,

i have never seen this happen in such a short timescale,

i guess this came off the scabbard runners ?

Bad Buzz for you, better check your other daggers,

Regards Scott.

Larry, that is a very sad surprise. A real heartbreak. It is in fact rust, hence the pitting you have been left with. These spots can sometimes originate from "Spit Spots", though yours seem to be the result of the runner scratching through the protective coating you had applied. When the blade is exposed, any conversation over the blade results in tiny saliva spots. These are extremely difficult to remove, it takes a liquid to get rid of them. When a blade is simply dry wiped and put away, these spots can grow into what you are seeing in very short order. From what I gather Japanese sword collectors are very aware of this, and take great care to avoid it.
    Wolfgang
    Last edited by wolfeknives; 10-25-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Good advice Larry.

The reason this happens is humidity. The summer months are quite warm and steel generally
    cool, which causes moisture to form on bare metal. Storing blades inside zippered bags
    or leather sheaths is not good. I know from my experiences with firearms as well as
    knives, bayonets and musical instruments - it has the exact same effect, and unless
    you have a climate controlled room where temperature and humidity are stable,
    this is usually the result.

You want to treat the metal with a rust inhibitor such as 'Sheath', which leaves a very
    thin coating. 'WD-40' is not an option as it evaporates quickly. Make sure to check
    stored pieces two or three times a year or more to see what condition
    your blades ( or guns ) are in.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Goood advice here.
    Reminds me, that I really should buy a can of Ren Wax and treat my 1796 sabres (as in model year, not number)

?

Horrible horrible images, I hope we never see this again.

I feel sorry for you Larry C.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast