Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Police Bayonet opinions please

Article about: Please comment on this slotted police bayonet by WKC. Annoyed from this ads?   Thanks z4 Merry Xmas to all.

?

What i realy like when looking at a police bayonet is that realy mean expression of the grip eagles face!
    You cant be mistaken that this police-eagle will get you...and when i compare this beauty to the one of the Original post then it looks more like a sick chicken.
    It reminds me a bit of that SMF 1st pattern Heer crossguard....
    Look at a nice Original one and then compare it with the one shown.....you immediatly see the difference..
    Police Bayonet opinions please
    Last edited by gerrit; 12-24-2014 at 08:30 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Police Bayonet opinions please
    P
    Many

Ger,

That's a really nice grip emblem, thank you for sharing it. What's also nice is the oversized aluminum rivets which are what the German armorers used when they cut down the Weimar 17" blades to 13". The only time you'll see a legit 3R Polizei bayonet with smaller rivets is when it's either a private purchase item or an aluminum hilted 3R produced bayonet.

On another note, on the smaller private purchase Polizei bayonets, WKC used a stiletto blade & non scalloped scabbard fittings which are only seen on WKC & the occasional Henckels products. The original bayonet was the larger service type but the distinctions of variants are always good to keep in mind.

?

Billy thank you for taking the time and effort to explain the ins & outs of these bayonets.
    I'm sure that lots of collectors will absorb these little facts, and knowledge like this will protect them from buying fakes in the future.

This info is what makes me come to this Forum, experts in a field who are willing to share there knowlegde
    Learning, sharing and teaching, this is what a forum should be about
    Thank you!

Ger

Is this a parts bayonet? it seems to have quite a lot of natural wear but a strange eagle-badly fitting blade to guard and non matching serial numbers etc.

z4.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Police Bayonet opinions please   Police Bayonet opinions please  

Police Bayonet opinions please   Police Bayonet opinions please  

Police Bayonet opinions please   Police Bayonet opinions please  

I don't know if I'd call this bayonet a "parts" piece. The bayonet itself looks like a period example, for the most part. The hilt is definitely an Alcoso product, notice the dots around the eyes of the eagle. The grip emblem is a Heer eagle & doesn't look original but there is no way to tell when it was added, probably postwar.

The mismatch on numbers is a common thing that is seen. What is more common is where we see a mismatch in numbers but the unit marks are the same, that isn't the case here as the bayonet comes back to a Schutzpolizei unit from Düsseldorf & the scabbard comes back to a different Schutzpolizei unit. The swap might have happened at the time the vet was bringing the items home or might have been done subsequently. The mismatch diminishes value a little.

The blade is cut down to 13" but the rivets are smaller than I would expect. The grip plates look original despite the hairline crack on the lower obverse. Overall it's an OK example it not something I'd spend a lot of money on since nice examples of these items are out there.

?

Question about the rivets, when is steel acceptable? The rivets on this one appear to be original to the grips and bayo, but are steel. Wouldn't you expect to see the larger head aluminum?

Just trying to learn,
    Jim

It looks like the rivets have been there for many years did they use steel rivets at any time.

z4

?

Quote by zephyr4 View Post
    It looks like the rivets have been there for many years did they use steel rivets at any time.

z4

I'm used to seeing small aluminum (or alloy?) rivets on early bayonets and the large head aluminum on the Nazi period rebuilds and new made bayo's. Being that the modified bayo's were done by many different armories or craftsmen, I would expect to see some variation in workmanship and maybe even the steel rivets. Something I would like to know the answer to as well.

Jim

Are these the large type alloy rivets Jim.

z4.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Police Bayonet opinions please  

?

Yes, that is what I think you would expect to find on a NS period manufactured or modified police sidearm.

Jim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast