Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

RAD Hewer

Article about: Hi - Just wondering. I have this beat-up Hewer. Can you tell me any info about it? Maybe if there is a year of the make and also with something like this - would it be best just to leave it

?

Default RAD Hewer

Hi - Just wondering.

I have this beat-up Hewer. Can you tell me any info about it? Maybe if there is a year of the make and also with something like this - would it be best just to leave it alone? Or try and clean it up a bit. It always seems like it best just to leave something like this untouched - is this right? - Thanks?

BTW - what might something in this condition be worth if you don't mind me asking thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAD Hewer   RAD Hewer  

RAD Hewer   RAD Hewer  

RAD Hewer  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RAD Hewer
    P
    Many

Default Re: RAD Hewer

Hi Reidi, the overall condition is not great. Most people I think would leave it "as found". However, some improvement to the blade could be carried out if you wish using a metal polish like "Semi chrome" or "Autosolv". These are very slightly abrasive and it would remove some of the greying to the blade. You would need to work with the grain of the knife working backwards and forwards across the blade, not going up and down the length.

The rough date of production can be determinded by the small Carl Eickhorn trademark. See here:

maker marks

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Reidii , i agree with Ade , shame about it`s condition , these hewers are great looking knives ! Normally collectors like to leave their examples untouched , but only if it has left to age naturally by the previous owner ! Someone has obviously messed with your hewer and tried to buff it up into a shiney state and perhaps it was in such poor condition that it required that treatment ! So in this case i would say some TLC would assist in it`s overall look and condition

cheers Al

?

Thanks guys - I'll try working on this very gently. Would it be good to work on the scabbard? Somehow...

Thanks

Personally, I would not touch the scabbard. If you clean up the white metal plated fittings I think it would just emphasize the poor condition of the black enamel paint.

Sorry I have no idea of a value for one of these. Do a search on specialsit dagger dealers sites, as a Wittmann or Johnson.

Cheers, Ade.